1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MS Office Outlook 2007 Won't Open

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Gawain, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gawain

Gawain Thread Starter

When I started my computer this morning Windows ran a disk check on my back up flash drive (K:\). When I tried to open Outlook in MS Office 2007 I got the following error message:

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file K:\Personal\Email Addresses Backup.pst is not a personal folders file."

This has happened before so I tried what I've done before. (1) I've tried to repair MS Office using the program cd but that hasn't helped. (2) I tried starting MS Office while holding the Ctrl key so that I could get to the Repair command in Help but that didn't work either. (3) I ran scanpst.exe on the Backup.pst file and it repaired it. That allowed me to open Outlook and over 1,500 emails began to download (from my ISP's server I guess).

I suspect that Outlook is using the backup file as its primary source for my Contacts (individuals and distribution lists) and wonder if anyone can help me get those items into the Outlook program itself. Last time time this happened I received a message saying that the K:\Personal\Email Addresses Backup.pst file wasn't available but the program ran anyway.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gawain

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!