1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) MS Outlook

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kenbro, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenbro

kenbro Thread Starter

Hello all.

This is one I haven't been able to solve. (Close but not plumb).

A few months ago I had been using MS Outlook without any problems.

I installed the Incredimail Outlook plugin. There were a few small problems but it worked (most of the way anyhow)

Something happened to Outlook and it crashed.....bad. I could not use it or my computer (Running WinXP Pro).

Did a System restore to a much earlier date and finally was able to use XP (after I had done some tweaking).

Outlook would no longer run. When I tried, it would use ALL my memory (running 229mb)and close.

I tried to upgrade from 2000 to 2002 with the sp2 package.

Outlook will start with the Configure panel and splash screen.

When Outlook starts to open it's window, I get an error message that it can't find Vbscript.dll and that I must run regsvr32.exe to correct the problem.

When I run regsvr32.exe it will start, then close everything.

If I start Outlook in Safe mode, I can run everything, send and receive mail, update folders.... whatever.

However when I try to run from the startup Icon I get the configure screen and splash screen with errors.

Looks like Outlook is trying to "re-install" Outlook but can't because something is screwy.

What do I need to do? Any suggestions? I've tried several and have managed to get Outlook to work in 'safe' mode but I need to be able to run it from the start menu or task bar Icon.

Thanks for any help. It definitely is not something simple!

Kenbro

2. bozz

bozz

Have you tried putting in the Office cd and using "Restore to original state or Repair". You might need to uninstall Office and re-install. Back up your folders and address book. I use...cough...Outlook Express to back up. Good Luck.

3. kenbro

kenbro Thread Starter

I will try that. Is that particular command on the install screen or do I have to look for it?

I have tried several repair suggestions but I think my trying to upgrade to Office XP (2002) has created the constant trying to install at call-up. But maybe not.

I know just about enough to get me into trouble most of the time. :confused:

thanks for your help.

Ken

4. kenbro

kenbro Thread Starter

Well Bozz, I tried it but it didn't work.

When I click on the start icon, a window comes up at the top left with "Configuring Outlook" in the top bar. An outlook splash screen shows in the middle of the screen.

When the Outlook window starts to open things go screwy. After a pause I get error panels coming up.

The latest was about virtual memory. I adjusted it to 3 times what is recommended but still no go.

Outlook tries to use MORE memory than I have to offer. I usually have about 160mb free. Even Maxmem can't keep up with trying to free up enough memory for Outlook.

However, when I run Outlook in /safe mode, everything works great. I can send and receive mail, make folders, sort, etc. Everything works.

It seems like Outlook is trying to complete an install from Outlook 2002 .

I sure wish I could find out what is wrong. It is 'hair-pulling' at best!!

Thanks for your help.

Ken:mad: :confused:

5. bozz

bozz

quote "It seems like Outlook is trying to complete an install from Outlook 2002 ."

The fix/repair/uninstall functions are in the setup dialog using the cd.

Did you install SP1 before SP2?
    "Important: Prior to installing Office XP SP2, you must install Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP1)."

Another bug with SP2
    http://nem.com/outlook_sp2_bug.htm

Try this: Run the repair Office from the cd>Get SP1 from Microsoft>install it. Then get SP2 and install it. You can probably get these thru Windows Update>Office.

As far as virtual memory is concerned, I prefer to just let Windows handle it and not define a specific size swap file, if that's what you've done. A swap file that is too small can lead to the type of problems with resources your having. You really should have enough memory with XP and not have to adjust this.

You may also have too many programs running at one time.

Also get Spybot Search and Destroy, get the updates and run it, if you don't already have it.

Hope this Helps.

6. kenbro

kenbro Thread Starter

Hey Bozz!

I Got it!. I had to go into my computer and delete everything I could find on Office and Outlook. Took about an hour, maybe more.

Rebooted. Ran the install for Office 2002 (no updates).

Everything went fine business. Outlook is installed, exported all my contacts and messages from Outlook Express and all is working again.

I guess I hadn't uninstalled everything as I thought I had.

Oh, one more thing.... I also dumped every temp, tmp, etc file I could find on here. Man it was chock full!

Your help was top notch. I have Spybot and will run it.

I think what happened at first was that I had a plug-in from Incredimail for Outlook that I had installed... and it went BAD!

I've also removed everything I can find from that Spyware, Incredimail.

I had used the regular Incredimail before and it kept trying to "call home" but my firewall stopped it each time, except when visiting their web site. Needless to say I don't visit there any more. I don't need any spyware on my computer. Most of it just screws up a system.

Thanks again for your help!

Ken

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice