1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MS Word 2000 update?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lilart, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilart

lilart Thread Starter

My computer is custom made. On it was installed MS Office 2000. The only disc that I have for all of that is for MS Publisher 2000, which I use for my graphics. My computer also came with MS Works, which for ordinary word processing I find very suitable. I have used Word and have taken a class for the basics, but have not had to use it often until just recently. It is the only one that is universally used for sending attachments by e-mail, something that until now I didn't have need for. I thought I'd update, but found I need the CD for Word, which I don't have. What is my alternative---update somehow without the CD, or buy a new MS Word, if that is available without buying the whole Office complex. My old software for Word is is now corrupted as I can no longer manage the spacing between lines. Any idea you can pass along will be appreciated. Thanks so much. lilart

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

3. lilart

lilart Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I really don't want to spend the money on the entire Office suite when it is only Office I need. The Office. org sounds interesting, but not sure it will be able to open the files I send by e-mail on computers that have the original MS Office. I discovered that my husband has the discs for Office. He has an IBM whereas my computer is custom. Both computers are in his name. Would I be able to download Office with his discs with no problems? That sure would be the easiest solution. Hopefully, lilart

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Whether or not you can install Office using that license on both computers depends on the specific End User License Agreement for that install and version. There should be a TXT file somewhere on the disks that describes the specifics.

I don't understand your concern about "e-mail files". OpenOffice can open and save .DOC files which is the default Microsoft Word format.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes Open Office can read any Ms Office and Ms Word files and is really quite compatible.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  7. lilart

lilart Thread Starter

Thanks so much to all of you for the info. I'll give OpenOffice a try.
    Thanks again. lilart

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you decide that you really want Word 2000, you can purchase it from the site that I gave you a link to - unless you find it cheaper elsewhere. I've purchased software on occasion from that site for the last few years. It usually arrives within a week.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. lilart

lilart Thread Starter

Hi Flavallee, I've been gone this weekend so didn't get your message. Since all I really needed was an uncorrupted software and wasn't worried about getting the newest version, I just ordered Word 2000 from the link you gave. My husband's disc says it is for one computer only, so I was happy to get my own at a reasonable price. Thank you for the link. I appreciate it very much. Also I thank the others that gave me the alternatives. I chose the original Word. Thanks to all. lilart

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :) (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice