1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MS Word 2003- Loss of document formatting

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by chickentrain, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickentrain

chickentrain Thread Starter

Hi:

Wondering if someone might know what's happening here...

I've been working on a document in Word 2003 that's around 100 pages long. It's set up with headings from which I could automatically generate a table of contents. It also had page numbers and referencing using EndNoteX1. Everything was fine, until today when I tried to open the document.

The TOC, page numbers, and EndNote referencing are all gone. In place of the TOC is : {TOC\O "1-3" \H \Z \}. Similarly for page numbers and references.

Oddly, when I just cut and paste the above {TOC etc} from my Word document into this document, the full table of contents appeared in this box! (so I deleted it and typed the code manually). So, Word seems to know what I want it to do, but it won't display it...

Also, to work on the document today, I e-mailed it to another computer and everything worked fine. Then when I sent it back to this computer, it lost the TOC, page numbers and references again.

Anyone have any idea of what's going on???

Thanks in advance
    Chickentrain

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Welcome to the forums. You are displaying your field codes and not the actual field values. Go to "Tools">>"Options" from the menu bar and uncheck off "Field Codes" in the top right-hand corner of the dialog box.

3. chickentrain

chickentrain Thread Starter

I was hoping it was something like that. I wonder how the selection got switched?

Anyway, thanks so much for you help! It did the trick

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice