Solved: MS Word 2007 Mail Merge Template-Can't find how to amend

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GauchoJohn

I've successfully created and run a Word 2007 Merge document and discovered that I omitted a field. Every time I open the Word template I created to add the new field it propagates and creates the merged document and I can't seem to figure out how to add another field to the template. HELP, of course.

Sounds like you are opening the document created by the merge and not an actual template. The document created by the merge will have a section for each record in your data base and hence it will have quite a number of pages in it. A "template" will only have the number of pages needed for the form letter. So, are you really opening a template, and if so, can you post it so we might take a peek at it. Black out any text that is private material.

GauchoJohn

I've tried to just open the template but whenever I click on the document I get a window that starts out "Opening this document will run the following SQL command: xxxxxxxx" SELECT * FROM 'Sheet1$' Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to continue? YES NO

If I click YES then the template is propagated from the spreadsheet. If I say NO it shows me the Word file with the merge as completed previously (as best I can tell). It may have just done the merge again for all I can tell.

As I said, I was trying to access the TEMPLATE so I could add a field that I missed when I created the template.

I have no idea how to actually locate the template itself.

GauchoJohn

Is it possible that the problem stems from the fact that I didn't save the template when first created as a .dotx file?

If that is true, then since I didn't no wonder I can't find the template.

I'm sure someone will know if that's the key to this mystery.

GauchoJohn

SOLUTION FOUND!!

Here are the steps:

1. Create the Merge Template and save as a Word Template file (.dotx).

2. Go through the steps necessary to create the merged file and print your documents.

3. Either close the file or SAVE AS a different name (which will preserve the TEMPLATE file that you used to create it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online