1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MS Word 2007 - tracked changes, but cannot print original document

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by majdnem, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. majdnem

majdnem Thread Starter

After tracking changes to a document in MS Word 2007, i am unable to print the *original* document. Even when i make sure that i have 'original' showing, even when i turn track changes off, even when i select 'document' in the print dialog box (rather than 'document showing mark-up'), even when i check in print preview and see the original showing as the document to be printed - what actually gets printed is the document with changes (no comments and no red highlighted additions and deletions, but still with the changes in the document and NOT the original.) Really tried everything i can think of. Had this problem multiple times with multiple documents. Any advice very much appreciated!
    optimistically
    majdnem
    :O)

2. jmbau

jmbau

Tricky - I've not had that particular problem before, but Word can certainly get its knickers in a knot over certain things, and Track Changes is one of them.

It sounds as though the file might be corrupted somewhere. If so, a workaround I've often used is:
    1. Create a new blank Word doc.
    2. Go copy everything out of the crap Word file but take great care to LEAVE BEHIND the very last paragraph marker. (You will need to make para marks visible to make sure).
    3. Switch files, & paste everything into the new Word doc.

Don't know whether this will help, but it would be worth trying. It definitely works for many problems.

3. majdnem

majdnem Thread Starter

Useful trick to know about, but when tried this, all track changes info was lost, and, despite having the original document showing, using 'track changes', again it was the final document that got pasted into the new document, with no track changes info, so no way to get back to the original document, which is what i need to print.
    Interesting that the changed doc was pasted into the new one, despite the fact that i had the original doc showing and this is what i copied and pasted. Don't know if this provides any further clues to the problem?
    Thanks for the suggestion, tho.

4. majdnem

majdnem Thread Starter

Noticed that this was only happening with one of my PCs, but printing was fine with the others. Submitted the offending computer to a vigorous scrubbing of junk files, registry cleaning, deleting unused software, etc and now it seems, for the moment at least, to be correctly printing the orginal document again. Not sure what it was i did right, but the problem seems to be fixed. Thanks for the suggested solution, tho.
    :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/960121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice