Solved: MS Word XP Mail merge switches & includetext

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stacyallgood

Hope you can help.
Our office has recently upgraded to MS Office XP. We can't install SP3 for Office XP - it breaks our other apps.
We have about 200 or so form letters we use to send to clients using many "If" statements to send them the information they need. We will also use "includetext" strings to another Word document to bring in that information.
Sometimes, in that "external" document, there is an "if" statement that references to one of the mergefields (ie FirstName, LastName), on which we also put formatting switches ( \* Caps).
What we are finding is that in the main document, when the includetext brings over the name, it's in all UPPER case, just the way it is brought over from our database.
The flow of what it is doing may look like this:
main document w/includetext > external document > "if" statement with mergefield \*Caps.
Word is not completing all the commands we have given it by not putting the name in First Initial in Caps with the rest lower case.
Have any of you heard of this? If so, does anybody know a solution?
Thanks.
Stacy

stacyallgood

I just thought I'd give you the solution I found out of the blue.
Instead of using \*Caps,
use \* lower \*FirstCap
Both of them apparently need to be used
Thank you to anybody who may have read this post.

Anne Troy

Anne
Thanks, Stacy. It's GREAT to provide the solution if you find it elsewhere. You can also mark your own threads Solved using the Thread Tools dropdown on the top bar. I've done it for you. :)

Welcome to Tech Guy!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online