1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: msconfig access denied error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Timadams, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timadams

Timadams Thread Starter

Dear support team

Please can you help?

I am a novice systems expert running a home PC with XP Home edition SP3

I today updates adobe reader because the system asked me to, It seemed to run okay and may have nothing to do with my subsequent problem. Afterwards I ran MSCONFIG as I often do to restrict the amount of stuff that autostarts at boot time. When I disabled adobe reader (and a couple of other old things), the system reported an error message "An access denied error was returned to change a service - you may need to logon using an administrators account to make the specified changes"

I only have one account - it is the administrators account and has never given this error before.

Everytime I boot the system now, it gives this error message.

If I re-enable all programs to start up at boot time the error message goes away.

HOWEVER - AN MOST WORRYING OF ALL - when I try to start up MS Outlook 2000 (my main email service) the system fails to start with an unspecified error and invites me to log this fault with Microsoft which I do. After doing this, Outlook closes down. It is repeatable and does this every time.

Re the msconfig error, upon seraching the internet it seems to be a common problem when people are running HP drivers for pronters, scanners, etc but I have no pronters or scanners attached to the PC

Please help. If you wish me to run HJT - please remind me what to do as I have not had to bother youn in 4 years and I have forgotten.

Thanks

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. Timadams

Timadams Thread Starter

.....but I have no HP drivers or any HP equipment attached and also could this be the reason why my MS Outlook has stopped working please? It was working fine an hour earlier

Thanks

Tim

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

The instructions in the link may apply to other services.

5. Timadams

Timadams Thread Starter

Dear Phantom

Thanks for spending some of your time to try and help me but your 'one liners' are just worrying me even more

I am not an expereinced systems person so when you say ....

"The instructions in the link may apply to other services. "

I do not know what you mean. I have no HP software as I mentioned earlier but when I look in regedit as you suggest there are many many many services detailed under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> System >> CurrentControlSet >> Services

What are you saying that I have to change every service? There are many many services

Thanks

Tim

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Tim:

Just out of curiosity, do this:

Click Start - Run, type in SERVICES.MSC and then click OK.

When the services window appears, expand it so you can see the list more clearly.

Is Pml Driver HPZ12 and/or Net Driver HPZ12 in the list?

If they are, double-click them to open their properties window.

Change "startup type" from Automatic(if set there) to Manual, then click Apply - OK.

(Note: Hopefully, they won't resist having the setting changed. They resist in some computers and don't in other computers)

Close the services windows and then restart your computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Timadams

Timadams Thread Starter

Hi flavallee

Thanks for your email

have done what you asked and none of these items are in the list

After further google seraches, etc, I think the problem is a conflict with Norton Internet Security 2010 which I also have running on the system. I uninstalled NIS 2010 and the problem went away. Have reinstalled NIS2010 and it is back again.

I hope and assume that Norton work on a fix soon.

I still have my more important problem which might or might not be connected. This is that MS Outlook 2000 (I know its old but has been working fine until yesterday) will not start up. Clicking the desktop icon starts up Outlook and then it gives the standard error message about there being an error and would I like to report this to Microsoft. Upon choosing to send the error report Outlook closes down immediately.

Any ideas? Should I reinstall MS Office 2000? I still have the distribution CDs.

Thanks

Tim

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I haven't done an install or uninstall of Microsoft Office 2000 in a long time, but I see no problem with you doing a reinstall.

If you've never installed SP1a and SP3 for that suite, the downloads are here. You can go from SP1a to SP3 without installing SP2.

-------------------------------------------------------------

9. Timadams

Timadams Thread Starter

Found the problems and now all sorted

1. The first problem msconfig is due to a conflict with Norton Internet Security 2010. Still there but the error can be ignored until Norton come up with a fix (I hope)

2. The second problem - MS Outlook 2000 no longer starting - is due to a conflict with the very latest version of Lavasoft Ad Adawre. Ad-Adaware had performed an auto software and definitions update and the problem was caused as a result. When I uninstall Ad-Adaware, MS Outlook runs again without incident as normal.

Sorry to have troubled you all

Tim

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware? :eek: (n)

11. Timadams

Timadams Thread Starter

Yes Lavasoft Ad-Adaware

It has shown the same error on two PCs today for me. My own and my daughters both configured the same way.

It could be something to do with the way the free copy of Ad-Adaware is set up. Perhaps something to do with email virus scanning and my Outlook 2000 set up. ?? My Norton Internet Security 2010 is set up to scan incoming and outgoing emails in Outlook 2000 for viruses already. Lavasoft was perhaps doign the same thing but the result was that Outlook would not even start up anymore. Perhaps NIS and Adawre were conflicting ? They both have lived in harmony on the PCs since January 2010 though.

Still no matter; I have uninstalled Ad-Adaware from both machines and everything now seems fine.

Thanks very much for your help, ideas and support

Tim

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice