Solved: msconfig issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

24giovanni

Banned
I have an issue using this utility when I enter start>run and enter msconfig and hit enter the the systems config utility comes up and under general there are 3 options

normal startup
diagnostic startup
selective startup

I try selecting the 3rd one and then reboot but it comes up saying I selected normal startup.

How do I fix this please? tia

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Did you actually UNselect any of the items that start up? Either on that screen or the Startup tab?

If not, Windows is just reverting back to a Normal Startup, which it still is.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Scanregistry is missing....that is an important one...and usually in Windows 98, there are two entries for loadpower profiles.

Also, office is a real resource hog, I'd uncheck that one, especially if you don't have a lot of ram.

24giovanni

Banned
AcaCandy said:
Scanregistry is missing....that is an important one...and usually in Windows 98, there are two entries for loadpower profiles.

Also, office is a real resource hog, I'd uncheck that one, especially if you don't have a lot of ram.
Candy, Scanregistry and the loadpower profiles aren't even an option. How do I get them back in there please? My computer won't stay on selective startup in which that option use to be. Please help. The list i provided in the url are the only options.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Uncheck msoffice, reboot.

You should see items that you have unchecked as well.....I'm assuming that you can't?

24giovanni

Banned
that's correct....how can I get all the other entries back. Please help.

24giovanni

Banned
all of these are gone:

em_exec
cpqinet
cpqns
scanregistry
ashmaisv
startoehooker
startlockspam
stillmagemonitor
schedulingagent
isdbdc
truevector
dkservice

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, good. Place a check mark in the scanregistry, then reboot.

You can post a list of them by:

start, run, msinfo32 and hit enter, go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

The load power profiles may not be needed in your case, I'm just used to seeing them in 98 ;)

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Adding back Scanregistry

Power Profiles aren't required unless you have settings to shutoff things like disk, monitor etc. In this case, if the profiles aren't there, these things are obviously not happening.

"all of these are gone"

Where did you get this list from???

Truevector belongs to Zonealarm
dkservice is defrag (Diskeeper, I think)

You are seeing these in the UNselect list??

24giovanni

Banned
Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe"
hp instant support Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE" -boot
Firefox Preloader Startup Group "C:\Program Files\FirefoxPreloader\FirefoxPreloader.exe"
HP Digital Imaging Monitor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe"
Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
SpywareGuard Startup Group "C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe"
HP Image Zone Fast Start Startup Group "C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe" -s
SP TimeSync Startup Group "C:\Program Files\SP TimeSync 2.1\SP TimeSync.exe"
ashAvast Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\ashAvast.exe
Zone Labs Security Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
avast! Web Scanner Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ASHWEBSV.EXE
ashMaiSv Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\AVAST4\ashmaisv.exe
avast! Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I thought whitphil had gone for the evening :D

You're in good hands, I'll bow out for the time being......

24giovanni

Banned
WhitPhil said:
Adding back Scanregistry

Power Profiles aren't required unless you have settings to shutoff things like disk, monitor etc. In this case, if the profiles aren't there, these things are obviously not happening.

"all of these are gone"

Where did you get this list from???

Truevector belongs to Zonealarm
dkservice is defrag (Diskeeper, I think)

You are seeing these in the UNselect list??
the only thing that is listed under msconfig startup is in the link i provded earlier. There is nothing that is unchecked to be checked off again. Hope this makes sense.

24giovanni

Banned
Phil,I put the registry back successfully. Do I need anything else in there. Also, Under the general tab, setup selections, it only takes normal startup and not selective startup. What do I need to do to fix thisplease?

POWRPROF.DLL
Startup Location: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and
POWRPROF.DLL
Startup Location: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

I shut things down on my own so guess I will have Scotty(WinPatrol) disable these two.
But they are not running right now because the info shows the status: ready and the button says "run" so that means it it was used at startup but then stopped running.

But if not needed then no need to even have it start.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online