Solved: msconfig - safeboot - now won't start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cwelaw

Have XP, service pack 2, and all updates. Use Norton, MS Antispyware, Adaware, Spybot, and weekly check with online virus check programs. Machine is clean (I hope). Have 2 user accounts on the machine. Had email issues with the ISP and got resovled/ I could open Outlook Express from my user account, but then my wife's user account wouldn't open Outlook Express at all. Thought I would try in Safe Mode to see if maybe some other program was interfering. NOTE: I did no harware or software change. Went to msconfig, and clicked on Safeboot. Restarted machine and this is what I get:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." (There's a bunch more but won't bore you with details) It gives me options of safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, Last known good configuration and start normally. NONE of these options work.

When selected and hit enter, the Windows XP shows up with the little bar below, and the "dots" start moving to the right, but hang up about 3/4 the way over, then start again, but machine goes back to "We apologize...."

Any thoughts on what I can do? I am machine next to this one.

Thanks,
Chuck

blues_harp28

Hi..what happens if you uncheck safe boot in msconfig?
Try safe mode with command prompt..log on as administrator..
Type..%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
This should launch system restore..

cwelaw

Can't get back to there. Machine won't start up. Get the "black" screen with the writing noted previously. I select any of the choices and hit enter, it tries to start, i.e. shows Winodws XP logo with the status bar below, but stops and sends me back to the "sorry" page, and just keeps repeating.

blues_harp28

Hi..if you have your XP Cd..
Boot from CD..when prompted press {R} choose your windows installation(typically) by pressing (1).
Press return..when prompted for password type..chkdsk /r press return..
windows will fix errors..type exit..press return..

cwelaw

It's asking me to type in the administrator password. Typed chkdsk /r but it says "password is not valid"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online