1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MSCONFIG - Stuck in Safe Mode/Selective Startup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kmye, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kmye

kmye Thread Starter

Hi all, looks like a good forum here, hoping I can finally find a solution...

This has not been a week that's made me much enamored of Vista.

In order to troubleshoot my parents' Vista PC after their wireless
    mouse/keyboard suddenly stopped working after 4/9's automatic updates, I had
    to a do a system restore from Safe Mode. Their corded USB keyboard we got to
    work (along with a PS2 mouse) to do the fixing wouldn't work using the
    F8-method to get into Safe Mode, so I had use MSCONFIG to force a safe mode
    boot.

The system restore worked, and I've disabled automatic updates until MS
    comes out with a fix for the apparently widespread original problem, but now
    I'm stuck with a very frustrating situation.

My parents' computer will only boot up into Selective Startup (which leaves
    some important things such as graphics drivers unloaded) or into Safe Mode.
    Within MSCONFIG, when I choose "Normal Startup", it automatically checks the
    "Safe Mode" Box in the boot tab, and when I uncheck that box, it
    automatically selects "Selective Start" on the previous tab. (I've tried
    hitting apply on each of the tabs, but it doesn't help).

I've found a few other threads with this same problem across the web, but
    never found a solution. Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.

2. Sponsor

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Sounds like Make all boot settings permanant was checked when you forced Safe Mode (or got set during the restore process) so now that is the "Normal" mode.

Uncheck the Safe Mode box on the boot tab and check the Make all boot settings permanant, then reboot -- that should fix it. You can uncheck the Safe mode box, reboot to make sure it comes up in Normal mode before checking the Make all boot settings permanant box just to be sure.

HTH

Jerry

4. kmye

kmye Thread Starter

Hi Jerry,

Thanks very much for the reply. I took your suggestion along with one from here ( http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...7a8f-422e-8b9b-89d93327caba&lang=en&cr=US&p=1 ) to run MSCONFIG.exe in the "Run as Administrator" option you can get to by typing "msconfig" into the start search bar and right-clicking on MSCONFIG above.

Unfortunately, I was impatient, and did both at the same time, so I don't know if only one, or both work to solve the problem, or if both are necessary; in any case, something worked and everything's booting properly now. As a note to anyone else who runs into this problem, I had to reselect the Aero Appearance manually the first time once everything had booted up normally.

Thanks again for the successful help!

Vista MSCONFIG Normal Startup Stuck Safe Mode Selective Startup Troubleshoot Tech Support Help Problem Solution Fix Fixed

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome!(y)

6. jubcheng

jubcheng

Hi.

I have a similar problem.

The selective startup can't be reversed to normal startup.

Nothing is checked in the boot tab of msconfig.

I had to restore to an image backup from before I went into selective startup to have the system start normally again.

Running msconfig as administrator didn't help as well,

Any help on how to fix this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Cheng

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice