1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) MSconfig..task monitor?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BARACOUDER, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BARACOUDER

BARACOUDER Thread Starter

what is the task monitor for? If i uncheck it will it cause problems?
    win98SE 98Mb AOL8...cheers

2. billE

billE

task monitor is the running clock on any scheduled tasks you may or may not have set up for your compy. i personally run these tasks (such as defrag and virus scans) manually and have disabled mine to no ill effect.

3. BARACOUDER

thanks for that Bill.... ;)

4. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Sorry billE but you are confusing Task Monitor with MStask...,task monitor is used to keep track of how often and from where programs are run so they can be optimized by defrag when you use the "rearrange progs so they start faster" option...This info is kept in C:\windows\applog; therefor if you don't use the above option when defragging it is OK to uncheck taskmon and you can also delete the contents of applog(not the folder itself; just the contents)
    MStask is the scheduler that shows up in the task bar and you can use to schedule defrag/scandisk etc,. etc...also OK to uncheck...

5. billE

billE

my applogies to you both. =o) and thanks for setting him and i both back on course. **hopes baracouder does get back to see the truth and doesn't cuss me to much**

6. BARACOUDER

No harm done,were all learning,,,,Cheers jwbirdsong

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Baracouder:

Other than ScanRegistry, SystemTray, your antivirus program, and your firewall program(if you have one), most all other programs can be disabled from running in the background - including TaskMonitor and Mstask. :) (y)

I see you are using AOL 8.0. :( (n)

8. BARACOUDER

Cheers flav (y) .Just got PC and i am on a 2 month trial (free).The way I am goin ill need a new one at the end of the trial,huvin fun though...

All the best

PS haven't been disconnected in days,cant be all bad :D

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Now you know my feelings about "AOL Hell".:mad: If and when you decide to get rid of it, I've got the steps posted in my site for completely cleaning it out.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice