1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] msconfig VS. Crl.Alt.Delete

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by GodFactor, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GodFactor

GodFactor Thread Starter

Greetings all! This is my very first post in this forum, and probably won't be the last.

I work from a laptop and use Windows 98. What I'll be describing hasn't affected me adversely in any way, YET.

In the several times I've spoken to the technicians at my ISP, I've been asked many times to view what appears in the list after doing CTR ALT DELETE. I've "always" been told that "both", SCAN REGISTRY and SYSTRAY "must" appear on that list, and they always have, until about one month ago. Since a month ago, when I view that list, SCAN REGISTRY no longer appears, ever! Why is it that when I go to Start up, run, then msconfig, "both" are checked off?

I only ask the question because my ISP scared the socks off me since the last 3 years that they MUST BOTH appear on that list. They make it seem like all hell will break loose if they're not "both" there. Then when I phoned them back yesterday, all of a sudden, it's no problem? Will a problem suddenly occur, that I could have prevented NOW?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Godfactor
    Welcome to TSG!
    The answer is no! Who ever told you that scan registry should appear in Task Manager at all time was in error. The only one that actually must be there is Explorer. System Tray is nice since it supplies all the system related icons but again not required to run windows.

Anyway if Scan Registry and Systray are checked in the msconfig utility startup group you are fine.

Scan Registry is the Scanregw.exe program that runs at startup and creates a registry backup for the day if windows successfully started.

Hope that helps

Dave

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    GodFactor:

ScanRegistry and SystemTray are in the MSCONFIG startup tab(which you should always leave checked).

Explorer and Systray are in the Close Program window(which are the only 2 that you need to leave in there before performing certain functions, such as running Scandisk and Disk Defragmenter, or installing and uninstalling software)

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

4. GodFactor

GodFactor Thread Starter

Davey7549 & flavallee: Thank you both for your reassuring input. I'm sure I'll be counting on you guys (and others) in the future. My ISP technicians seem to vary in answers from one another and sometimes flat-out contradict themselves. The same thing might occur in this forum but at least I have a chance to sift through more than just one answer. I also like the ability to cut & paste various information and act accordingly at my pace.

flavallee: Thanks for the link you provided (Re: Frank's tips). I've bookmarked it for future reference. I'm sure to use it quite a bit. I've even refered a friend to this forum after seeing what kind of info was made available to me.

Very grateful,

Godfactor

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

As a quick addendum:

Programs that you see listed in Msconfig are of 2 types:

The first ones start, do their thing and exit. IE: They will never appear in the task list.
    (Scanregistry and PowerProfiles, Tweakui fall into this category).

The others start and continue to run all the time. Firewalls, antivirus software, hotkeys, etc fall here)
    In this case, SOME, of these will appear in the task list, but some can "hide" themselves when they start, and thus will not appear.

6. GodFactor

GodFactor Thread Starter

WhitPhil: This is just the type of information that my ISP wouldn't provide. The added information you just provided is what I adore about this forum, just makes the picture so much clearer. Thanks.

Information is power!

7. beekeeper

beekeeper

8. GodFactor

GodFactor Thread Starter

BEEKEEPER: A huge thanks to you too! I'll probably be spending a few hours on the link you provided. Some how I think this link might be the answer to many of the forum's membership. There must be a better section in this forum to post it, somewhere where others can put it to use and rid themselves of those multiple items in their startup lists. I'm convinced that I'm not the only one annoyed by their re-occurences and uselessness.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  10. skyman

skyman

If you find that this site, and the posters, have given you information that helped you...

Consider donating to help keep the site open.

This site is not supported by anyone except the members and a few advertisers...

Not pushing, just a suggestion...

11. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

GodFather:

I don't want to say anything too much about Frank's Windows Tips, (It might inflate his ego :) ), but I cut and pasted every one of them, each into their own Word document, a long time ago.

Sorry Frank, it's not stealing, it's known as "shared resources" :D (y)

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Cut and paste and share all you want, NightHawk. That's why the information is there. (y)

And my ego isn't inflated. I still learn something new almost every day. ;)

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

13. GodFactor

GodFactor Thread Starter

Skyman: I've just made that contribution to TSG, as you politely suggested. At the same time it gave me a chance to join Paypal (which I've wanted to do for quite some time). Being Canadian, I was just shafted by the exchange rate to u.s. funds, if it weren't for that, I may have given a tad more.

NiteHawk: I'm a cut & paste fellow myself. I paste everything into "Word", it's almost a phobia! I plan to paste it all into Word this coming weekend, when I can find a few minutes to myself.

flavalee: Egos are as inflated as one blows them out of proportion. I haven't seen you blow your own trumpet yet, but when I do I'll let you know.;)

GodFactor

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

GF, just an FYI, your ads should be turned off in the next day or so, or as soon as TechGuy can get to it.....if something happens, and this doesn't happen, please feel free to PM or email me directly and we'll get it sorted ;)

15. GodFactor

GodFactor Thread Starter

AcaCandy: That was quick! You just posted 13 minutes after me. That's almost scary! Thanks for staying on top of it. What a great bunch of folks in this forum. May it stay online forever.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice