Solved: msconfig won't run

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Richterville

Hi folks,
msconfig won't run at start.
Windows cannot find msconfig.
It's there physically (I had to manually find it - Search won't work either)
I think it's a registry error. I looked where another forum "told me" to look, and I had different entries.
I've antivirused and anti malawared myself, so i think that's not it.

Thanks,

Richterville

Try this.
http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads/msconfig.zip

-------------------------

If that doesn't help, you could also try the system file check which scans for and replaces missing/corrupt system files.

Go to:
> "Start"
> "Run"
> Type "Command"
> Choose "OK"

At the command prompt type: sfc /scannow (You will need your Windows install CD)

By the way, it is possible that hidden (undetected) malware is causing your issue.

Richterville

tried the above, and no joy I can get msconfig to run if i find it manually, but not from "start"

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
If you locate this entry in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE, in the right pane, next to Default, it should show: C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe

You have those 2 entries, correct?

Richterville

in the first one all i have is
Name: (default) Type:REG_SZ Data: c\program files\sony\sony picture utitlity\video utility
and
name : path type: REG_SZ Data: c\program files\sony\sony picture utitlity\video utility

but the second one is there.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths]

Create a new sub-key named "MSCONFIG.EXE"

Then, select this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE

In the right-pane, double-click (default) and type the full path to
MSConfig.exe

Example:
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe

Richterville

Nice one guys - that did the trick. Follow me to my next thread..."Search don't work!" :0)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online