[Solved] msconfig

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angel24

i have a friend running win98 and i was wondering how you find msconfig on this os. or a way to stop programs from opening at start up:confused:

Hi Angel24,

Go to Start>Run> type in "msconfig" (without quotes).

HTH,

Regards,

2harts4ever

Start> run> msconfig> startup tab> and uncheck the programs listed there that you don't want to start-up

2harts4ever you're a faster typer than I am, :D

Cowboy622,

Not by much... lol But don't feel bad, because you 'whoop' me hands down when it comes to know how! Have a great day!

Regards,

2harts4ever

angel24

she did that but when she told me what was on the window she pulled up it didnt have anything mine has (winXP) which are the options to check boxes on what u want to run or not run on startup

Maybe she can use a third party program like "Startup Cop" which she can get here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,2173,00.asp
to do what she wants.

It's also my understanding that Startup Cop is no longer free (like it was when I downloaded it), but there is a free version here:

The Free program "Starter 5.6.1.38" can accomplish what you want to do. You can read about it and download it at the link below. It's compatable with Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP.

http://www.spychecker.com/program/starter.html

Hope this helps you!

Something isn't right!
She should have a startup tab at the top to click on and it brings up where she can uncheck startup stuff. I run w95 and d/loaded a copy from http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm as w95 didn't come with it.
You must place it in the c/windows/system folder and then you can make a shortcut for your desktop.

Not saying you should d/load another one as they might conflict!
Just saying it's strange that hers doesn't have the startup tab!
Good luck to ya!

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you meant that when she pulled up the msconfig box, she had a startup tab but the programs that were starting were not listed there. If that isn't the case, then her msconfig might be corrupted in which case she may need to replace it.

For your MSCONFIG try this:

click My Computer

C:\ drive

Windows

System

Rename Msconfig.exe to Msconfig.old

Then go to

C:\ drive

Windows

Options

Install

WIN_17.CAB

scroll down to msconfig.exe

right click on it

choose Extract

Reboot

Or you can extract it from here like iaavagent said:
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm
just use the one marked Win95 as that is from Win98 and will work in WinME.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Angel24:

Two different computers are not going to have the identical list of programs in the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab because they have different software and hardware installed. The 2 programs that they both should have listed is ScanRegistry and SystemTray, which should always remain checked.

angel24

ok i want to now change her os to xp just wondering if it is easy to do...i have installed xp on comps b4 but just over rided xp never win98....is it hard or easy......lol

Hi Angel ; To go from 98 to XP isn't recommended , it is ok to go from 98 to Win 2000 or ME , but XP requires quite a bit more resources than does 98 . I don't know if the puter can handle it .
But to your original question of "Start Up" , this can be found quite easily by the following ,
PROGRAMS ... ACCESSORIES.... SYSTEM INFORMATION.. TOOLS TAB
there you will see a list with what is running on Start Up. Simply , CHECK or UN CHECK what ever you desire to Run on Start Up. If changes are made , you shall need to re-boot, for them to take affect . Hope this helps .

PEACE

an alternative to startup cop is available for free from www.mlin.net.

1 is startupcpl which runs from your control panel and allows control over where things start from.

2 startup monitor which runs like a real time scanner in the background but in theory without taking up any resources, it just prompts you whenever you go to install a new program, where it plans to start up from and then allows you to change that via the first program.

just checking it out at the moment but it's supposed to be good and ad free as well.

the monitor program shows no sign of itself except from start>programs which allows you to disable it or via the msconfig style tab within the first program.

chasers

angel24

ty all for ur help im not gonna upgrade it now im just gonna go in clean it out for her and start fresh....ty for all the tips...i'm sure ill be back very soon....lol

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I agree. Leave Windows 98 in there. Doing some maintenance and cleaning out some junk in that computer will go a long ways towards making it run better.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online