1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Msgsvr32...illegal operation...after format and clean install!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Chum, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

This did not start happening until after I installed the soundcard...Creative SBLive Value...thought I was using latest drivers. If I close the error message everything seems to work.

Win98SE

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Have on-board sound? if you do you must first disable the on-board sound, then shut straight down then, install the add-in sound card restart and install the drivers.

It is likely that you must completely uninstall the drivers, shut down, remove the card, then restart, make the on-board sound work right. Then do the above. If you have on-board sound.

3. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

The new mobo had onboard sound but I disabled that before I even installed the OS.

I think I need to remove all sound card stuff in device manager, un-install the card, put it in a different slot...blah...blah...blah! :D

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Exact error message?

5. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

OK here goes...hope this is enough...

Msgsvr32

This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Details

Msgsrv32 caused an invalid page fault in DEVCON32.dll
    at 016f:10004260

followed by a whole lot of registers and stack dumps.

6. ~Candy~

A quick search shows the recommended fix of uninstalling the sb live and reinstalling.

MsgSrv32 Error to Module devcon32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (SB live) Removed Sb live drivers and Reinstall drivers, Second Added Real Player 6.2 and real jukebox. And error began
    Solution Devcon32.DLL is part of the Sound Blaster Live! Value driver set, and to fix this problem, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the Sound Blaster Live! Value drivers and software. To uninstall the Sound Blaster Live! Drivers and software please refer to Document number: TT1013878, or click on the following link: http://support.dell.com/dellkb/document.asp?DN=TT1013878 To reinstall the Sound Blaster Live! Drivers and software or try Restore Defaults.

7. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Thanks AcaCandy! I knew someone here would come through!

I suspected the soundcard...as you can see from above!

8. ~Candy~

Quick question, what video card do you have? ATI per chance?

9. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Geforce 4 TI4200 (leadtek)

10. ~Candy~

Ok, plan A then.......there seems to be a bug with ATI and SB Live.....so ruled that out ;)

Known Bugs

MSGSRV32 error in DEVCON32 starting Windows - this issue affects systems using ATI's Multimedia Center software and SoundBlaster Live! audio cards - try ATI's solution or replacing devcon32.dll with version 4.06.642

11. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Sheesh! Uninstalled soundcard...put it in another slot...rebooted
    and got TOTALLY SCREWED. Could not boot, could not run in safe mode, could not run scanreg /restore...had to format drive again to get this far...

Got comp up and running again, with hardware installed in this order...
    1. chipset drivers
    2. vid card drivers
    3. ethernet card drivers

do not even have the stinkin sound card in a slot...figured I would do it last.

Just have to figure out the best way to install it...

Should I just hit cancel when Windows finds new hardware...then put in SBLive install disk or what?

Did not think the soundcard would be a problem...figured it would be the easiest thing...so it bit me in the butt!

12. ~Candy~

Don't allow Windows to find drivers for it, for sure.......

13. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

OK, I'll calm down. Got soundcard installed. No error messages!
    No exclamation points in Device Manager!

Thanks to the TSG Team!:) :D (y)

14. ~Candy~

And if you would be so kind as to tell everyone the steps you took, it will help the next person..........

now, that you've calmed down and all ;)

15. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Just hit cancel on "new hardware found" inserted driver disk...and it installed...! I think my problem was that I left the card in during reformat...and during Windows install, eroneous drivers were found for it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice