1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MsMpEng.exe always running

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by debodun, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debodun

debodun Thread Starter

Today after updating MSE I noticed my HD light coming on every few seconds. I opened Task Manager and saw that the MsMpEng.exe was going fluctuating regularly every few seconds anywhere from 0 to 50% CPU usage. Also there's an item on the Task Manager list I didn't notice before - vprot.exe which usage seems to coincide with the MSE usage. I never noticed it doing this before. I ended the vprot.exe process and the MsMpEng,exe calmed right down. Is this something to be concerned about.

2. ETech7

ETech7

vprot.exe - this maybe an AVG product, probably Safe Search Toolbar. Check files digital signature.

3. debodun

debodun Thread Starter

Everything checked out. Digital sig scan did not find any problems. When the vprot.exe was in the Task Manager, it would not let me download any MSE updates. Can I stop the vprot.exe from appearing in the Task Manager? I have no idea where this came from. I have not downloaded any new programs.

4. ETech7

ETech7

Go to Start - Run - type msconfig hit enter - Startup tab, see if you can disable it from there.

Do you have any AVG programs installed, or did you have any previously? Check your installed programs and uninstall anything from AVG Technologies.

5. debodun

debodun Thread Starter

I uninstalled AVG Safe Search. I don't know where it came from or why it conflicted with MSE. Thanks you for your prompt advice.

6. ETech7

ETech7

You are welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice