Solved: msmsgs.exe continuously relaunching (why?)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Autumn_kiss

I've done everything to keep msmsgs.exe from running in the background, even removing it from the startup in msconfig. Everything was fine for a couple of weeks or so, but today the msmsgs.exe keeps restarting in the processes.

I shut it down, and within one minute it's running again. Something isn't right, mostly because it's unchecked in startup and shouldn't be running at all.

I ran trojanhunter (trial version), nothing was found. But this program should not be running.

I also did a search for the file on my computer and it found 4 instances/files with msmsgs.exe as the name or in the name, and one of them (in the Prefetch folder) says it was modified today. I didn't modify anything or download anything or run anything.

Any ideas?? :confused: :(

Window Messenger is hooked into Outlook Express and will launch evrerytime you open Outlook Express.

1. Open MSN Messenger and go to Tools >Options and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts" on the Preferences tab.
2. In Outlook Express, go to Tools > Options > General tab and uncheck the option to "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger".
3. Also in Outlook Express, go to View > Layout and uncheck the option to display Contacts. The program will open a connection and display a list of all Contacts on line if you do not.
4. Startup Folder. Make sure no entry there for Messenger.
5. Go to Start > Run, and type Msconfig. On the Startup tab , uncheck any option for it.
6. If you are using NAV 2003, disable Instant Messenger monitoring.

This check list ought to work in dissociating MSN from Outlook Express, so that it'll only start up if you really want it to.

Autumn_kiss

Okay, I'd done that before, but it was back in there. :) THANK you. Also, I found a nifty little program called Shoot the Messenger that's helped as well. There's an option to restore msgr in case things don't ask right.

thanks! Msgr is a real pain in the neck!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online