1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MSN Connection Manager - device missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mosquito555, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mosquito555

Mosquito555 Thread Starter

I noticed an icon in my "Network Connections" titled as MSN. It states under "type" that it is a connection manager. The strange thing is that it points to something looking like a telephone number (4255555555) and its status is unavailable due to a missing device...

I don't remember doing anything that could install the above connection...Also scanned my machine with Spybot S&D, Malwarebyte's Antimalware and Commodo Defense+ scanner. None of those programs found anything suspicious.

I accidentally started the msn messenger setup wizard (I don't use it - using windows live messenger) but canceled the setup process almost immediately. Could this be related?

Have you people ever came across this thing? Is it something harmless or should I start posting at the security forums??? :confused:

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The MSN Connection manager is installed when you start to install MSN Explorer -- Was that the setup wizard you started (has a butterfly icon) rather than MSN Messenger (has an icon of two people)? MSN Explorer is included with XP; MSN Messenger you would have had to download.

The missing device will be displayed if you don't have a dial up modem.

You can right click the Connection Manager and delete it.

To uninstall MSN Explorer, goto Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. Check if you see MSN there (will be here if updated from the version included with XP).
    If not there, click Add/Remove Windows Components, scroll down to MSN Explorer. If checked, uncheck it.

HTH

Jerry

3. Mosquito555

Mosquito555 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for sorting things out for me Jerry! :)(y)

-I can't remember specific details but you must be right, could be msn explorer. Thing is that the installation never completed. I guess it could have created this connection before the actual setup. Nevermind, it's gone now!

-I figured out that this device is a modem myself too. That's why I got worried in the first place, thought it could be a dialer of some sort! I'm connected to the web via an ethernet adsl router but you never know! :eek:

-Uninstalled everything and then deleted the connection.

Thanks again!(y)

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

To install MSN Explorer you have to setup your ISP account with MSN, so the first thing it does, even before the Installation screen fully loads is to create the Connection Manager. And uninstalling doesn't delete it -- MS assumes of course you will re-install... They should at least make it an option to completely uninstall.

Anyways, glad it's sorted, and you're welcome!

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759229