1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by [email protected], Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Excruci@ting

[email protected] Thread Starter

Well heres the deal.

Please take the time to read this.
    I am running XP and I seem to get this problem after a few formats. Like it might happen every 3rd time I format.
    When I format, and reinstall everything back on, I put my videocard drivers on first. Then SP1. And then all my apps and games.
    Now the punchline of this thread has to do with Messenger. I will log in and it will tell me there is a newer version available. I install this new version and it brings me up to 4.7.
    But sometimes when I do this (every 3rd time i do it after a format) I can't press the Sign In button. I can press Sign in with a different username.
    But can't press Sign In
    Now if i press Remember my password it tells me that the service is unavaible. But if I Don't press Remember my password its signs me in ok.
    Now remember, the only way that I can get to the sign in screen, is by pressing Sign in with a different username.

Know we all know when that we sign in with msn for the first time with XP it should give you a passport wizard? Well I didn't get this message.
    But I did find out how to get it.
    Start/Run/control userpasswords2
    Then go the the advanced tab, and its in there. When I click on it though and go next I get this message...

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what this error messages means. And is there a solution for it?

Here is what I have tired...
    1. Reinstall SP1
    2. Reinstall MSN about 13times.
    3. Use my sisters MSN folder, but the program won't execute.
    4. Uninstall MSN Plus and reinstall msn again.
    5. Tried MSN5.
    6. Deleted the MSN folder.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

2. Excruci@ting

I installed SP1 for IE.
    No work either =(

3. Excruci@ting

Well I thought that it might have been Windows XP Sp1.
    So I have done another format since without installing Sp1. The very first thing I done was try and sign into msn and I got the same error again. Webservice error. The wizard couln't connect to the internet.

4. Excruci@ting

5. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

If you are using dial-up, have you tried connecting to the internet before running the wizard... do you even have internet, are the internet settings properly configured with your connection set to default?

6. Excruci@ting

I got cable.
    And it has worked fine before. Never had a problem.
    This only happens a now and again.

Anyway, I have wrote to Mircrosoft today and they say its a Windows XP bug. They are gonna try and sort it out.

7. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

Sorry I couldn't help, let us know what you find out so we can help someone in the future.

8. Excruci@ting

np thanks for trying.

I just got another email back from microsoft. They told me i wrote to the wrong place. When that one of their mates gave me there email :mad:

Now I await another email address from them.

9. Excruci@ting

I finally got an email back from microsoft...

They say..

And thats what it was. The date was set to 2002. Don't ask why that I would set the date to that everytime I formatted. Cause I had a good reason :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice