Solved: MSN problems with router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Resnik

Hey, ok i have this problem, when i connect to MSN the first time when i boot the computer it works, but if i disconnect, i can't get conection back up :/. so i kinda suspect my ruter have something to do with it, when i run MSN messenger troubleshooter, it stops at 'default gateway - your gateway appears to be offline' .. i tried to uplad image to imageshack, but it just does not wna upload, i blame my ruter again ^^ . ASUS WL-500g , with Firmware Version: 1.9.5.0 . And firewall is offline on it.

I checked google for the error code that i get, and i did all what it was described in there, still not working, i suspect i gota foward ports? but that port fowarding in general is set to 'off' .

Regards

etaf

Wayne
is it a firewall at all on your PC

can we have make and model of router

Resnik

Windows firewall is offline, i use NVIDIA hardware one, thats build on my MB, but its offline atm for testing anyway. and again model is ASUS WL-500G Wireless.

etaf

Wayne
MSN uses port 1863
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html#WinMess

For MSN Messenger
Tools>
Options>
Connection>
and clear the "I use a proxy" box

If not check Internet Explorer.
Tools>
Internet Options>
Connections tab>
select your connection and click Settings. At the screen that pops up look if "Use a proxy server is enabled
Also check on LAN settings

http://memberservices.passport.net
Sign In.
If the sign-in Web page does not appear, follow these steps:

Exit MSN Messenger/Sign out of MSN Messenger.
also check MSN Messenger icon in the notification area, right-click the icon, and then click Exit.

Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) state:
Internet Explorer
Tools menu
Internet Options
Content tab.
Certificates
Clear SSL State.
Click OK when you receive the message that the SSL cache was successfully cleared.

server certificate revocation in the Security section is not turned on
SSL options are turned on:
Internet Explorer.
Tools
Internet Options
Advanced tab.
Security section, clear the Check for server certificate revocation check box, and then select
the Use SSL 2.0 check box and the Use SSL 3.0 check box.

firewall/router port 443 is open to give access to SSL-secured Web sites.

it may be hosts file - we can come back to that

etaf

Wayne
cool - what did you change, just so others can learn

Resnik

I delated my old 'internet connection' via Broadband, and i reset in connections that i conect via other computer, thats connected to internet allready. And under lan, that automaticly detect settings, now it works as a charm :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online