1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: msn works, internet doesn't

Discussion in 'Networking' started by the flying pig, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the flying pig

the flying pig Thread Starter

I have recently upgraded my cable broadband connection from 2mb to 20mb, and this is when my problem started.

I operate three computers from home using a Belkin Router (F5D7230 V6) 802.11g. Two computers (XP and Vista) are set up to operate from a wireless connection and the third via an Ethernet connection. The problem that I have is with the computer using the Ethernet (XP). Upon start up, the internet connection will work fine for 8-10 minutes before a sign pops up saying ‘connection timed out’. The router indicates that it is connected and getting a signal, indeed, msn still works but not the internet connection. If I reboot, the same thing happens, internet works for 8-10 minutes then it goes down.

Process of Elimination:

 My other computers that are connected wirelessly are fine. However, I borrowed the external netgear wireless adapter from one of these computers and configured it with the problem computer (Ethernet unattached) and the same problem occurred, 8-10 minutes of internet then loss of connection.
     I also tried out the Ethernet connection on another computer, no problem the cable is not damaged.
     I have downloaded the latest firmware for my router to make sure that it is up to date

Any advice would be gratefully received from a person fast pulling all their hair out trying to resolve this issue for his daughter!
    :confused:

2. Homenet

Homenet

This definatly sounds like some kind of malware/spyware/virus problem. Have you ran a scan for these lately?

3. Carldica

Carldica

i agree, if not, try to use ethereal and give us the result.

4. the flying pig

Thanks for the response. I use AVG free and have scanned, no problem. I also use Zone Alarm but this has not flagged up any problems. Not sure what is mean't by ethereal? I tried to download adaware but the connection failed before completion. Maybe I need better virus protection

5. Homenet

Homenet

AVG free is suprisingly quite good for a free anti virus, have you tried disabling zonealarm and seeing if you get the same problem? what internet browser are you using?

6. the flying pig

I haven't yet tried it with zonealarm disabled but will do tonight when I get home. I use firefox but also have explorer installed. Neither work for longer than the 8-10 minutes.

7. Carldica

Carldica

ethereal is a freeware to capture packets through network. from the result, we can analyze what went wrong.

www.ethereal.com

8. the flying pig

Homenet thanks for the advice, problem seems to be solved. I disabled zonealarm and my internet connection stayed on. I managed to get an analysis of my computer from trend micro homevisit which highlighted a malicious malware attached to java, this has now been removed. I have also removed AVG and am looking to upgrade to prevent this happening again.
    I could kick myself for not thinking that it was a virus. I thought that it was a hardware/software conflict, hence putting in on this thread.
    So problem solved, once again thanks, any advice on protection would be welcome - I am prepared to buy!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The perfect anti-malware application (other than complete isolation of your computer) has not yet been invented. If you are intent on spending money, donate to this site! :) If you are intent on buying "security" you may want to check out some of the Latest Privacy & Security Reviews by PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/tc/spyware/#

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/687039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice