1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mtu

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ACA529, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having problems setting the proper MTU for my Dlink router. I have read this tutorial and have done what it said, but whenever I try to do it I always get "Request timed out". My current MTU is set to 1492.. but I keep getting the "Network cable is unplugged" error every few minutes. I'm starting to get confused, so any help would be great.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What network cable is unplugged? If you don't have connection and communication with your router, you certainly can't ping anything on the other side of the router. Is the MTU 1492 in your computer or your router?

3. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

The MTU 1492 is on my router.

I think it's set incorrectly, because every few minutes it says "A network cable is unplugged", then it automatically reconnects. Does that sound like an MTU issue? I called Dlink and the person said it probably was.

4. mujahid

mujahid Banned

u plz check ur cable
    . i think u r using the wrong cable.to connect a router direcltly to the pc u need to use cross cable

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A cross over cable can be used between router and PC if and only if one of the ports is auto-sensing. I wouldn't use one unless that's all I had.

The router is complaining that its WAN cable is unplugged? Never heard of that, and I don't understand how an incorrect MTU could cause it. When the router makes that complaint do the relevant LEDs on the modem and router go out? Have you tried another cable between modem and router?

6. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

I'm wired, and everything is connected fine. Every few minutes it says in the corner "Local Area Connection: A network cable is unplugged". Everything is plugged in fine, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the router. I know, it makes no sense at all... I've sent back my old router and got a new one and I'm having the same problem.

Would an incorrect MTU cause the "LAN: A network cable is unplugged" error?

The PC led light turns orange on the modem, then turns green, then I'm back online.

7. mujahid

mujahid Banned

check there cd be mtu missmatch
    ur machine might have been generating different size mtu

8. O111111O

O111111O

MTU won't cause loss of link. That's a cable/NIC/driver issue.

9. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

I've updated the drivers for my network card, and I've tested the router with two RJ45 cables.

The internet works fine if I'm not using the router, but it keeps disconnecting if I'm using the router.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    While I'm not convinced at all that this is a MTU issue, I think you can check to make sure one way or the other.

You are fine with PC to modem, but have disconnects with the router inserted. What is the MTU on your PC? Is the router set to the same value?

Are there any other differences between your PC's TCP/IP properties and the router's WAN (Internet) settings?

11. flyn200

flyn200

this doesn't sound like an MTU problem....

The MTU on your router should be set to whatever your ISP reccomends...you should be able to find this out on your ISP website or give them a call.

Typically your PC (if using windows XP) MTU will be set to 1500. You shouldn't need to change the MTU on your pc.

If the conection drops regualry then this would imply its a software problem...os configration or malware/spyware/virus..

If the conncetion drops irratically it simply maybe a hardware fault...the cable, loose port, broken nic card...

To troubleshoot this issue i would identify which equipment is causing the problem.

Is it your PC?
    Find another computer and see if you get the same issue.
    Check anti-virus is upto date and run a scan (AVG anti-virus is OK and free)
    Check anti-spyware is upto date and run a scan (spybot is a pretty good antispware app)
    Configure you LAN connection with a static IP

Is it the network cable?
    try a different cable

Is it the router?
    Try a different router
    update the firmware

hope this helps...

12. O111111O

O111111O

Have you tried a different router??

13. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Yes, I sent back my first and Dlink sent me another one. Still doesn't work.

I already have the firmware up-to-date.

14. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

This was solved quite some time ago... (February I believe).

A simple reformat fixed this problem.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not familiar with that term; what is a "simple reformat"?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice