1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: multi dvd drive question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbigg, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

I have a CANDY multi DVD drive-----a USB pluggable thing.

Good little unit, and handy.

Wouldn't ya know it, but I've lost the key the mfr supplies with it. I normally put key cards carefully in the box, and tape them in place. But, for some reason, I've lost this one.

I have a different computer, both run Windows XP. To plut the software for this on my 2nd computer-----you guessed it----I need the key.

I wrote to CANDY (a Taiwan firm), no response.

Is there anything to do? I wonder if this is a "throw it away" deal -- or ????

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Not sure what you mean here by 'key', please explain.

If it's to install some software the drive should just work in Windows, plug it in and see what happens.

3. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

It's a big, long group of characters and letters that is needed to activiate your software.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, did you try plugging it into the other computer ?

5. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

I have to install the software before I do that. No key. You can't install the software on any machine without the key.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I know that but my point is if it's an ordinary Usb DVD enclosure it will work without any special software installed.

If it's a special type of device then that's a different story, can you provide a link or the full model details of it ?

7. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

I did try plugging it in. Eureeka----and shame on me.... I didn't know it would work without the software. I used a CD that had lesson plans on it, and it worked on my computer--insofar as displaying goes. Haven't tried to copy, but it should.

I can at least use it without the software. I think it will do OK. Many thanks.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome, glad it's working ok.

(If all is well please mark this thread as solved by clicking on the 'Mark Solved' button' near the top of your page)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice