1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Multifunction DPI question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robert2513, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robert2513

robert2513 Thread Starter

Hello Everyone.

I have been looking at the Brother MFC-7820N and the MFC-8460N. On the website and brochures at Staples, the MFC-840N has a "1200 x 1200 dpi high-quality print resolution" and color scanning up to 19,200 x 19,200 dpi. The MFC-7280N has a "laser output" of 2400 x 600 dpi and color scanning of 9600 x 9600 dpi.

I know that a higher dpi = higher resolution but why on the MFC-7820N is the laser out not equal: the x-axis being larger (2400 x 600 dpi)? Is there an advantage to this?

Thanks in advance/
    Robert

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Well, your normal printer paper is 11.5inches by 8,
    I'm gonna say the second is giving you the print DPI for a full sheet of paper, the first might be saying it prints square peices of paper, or giving you an "ideal" DPI...

3. winbob

winbob

Sorry LO, but you've got this one wrong. :eek:

DPI...dots per inch...is not a full page designation, but a measure of the resolution PER INCH.

A scanner has a much greater capability to COPY in high resolution values than a Printer has in making a high res output. Basically because printing has mechanical limitations even with a laser device....at least tied to cost.

Have you also noticed that in all resolution values the first value (horizontal) is larger than the second (vertical), or equal. Apparently, for image quality the horizontal res is more important?

Anyway, I've read that in general, Printed output above 300 DPI is generally wasted. I do not do a lot of photo quality printing, but 300 dpi seems great to my tired old eyes.

Likewise, scanning at very high resolutions mostly results in much larger (or huge) files! Which you wind up compressing anyway....and not always with a "lossless" compression program. :rolleyes:

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Was aware of the DPI, also present in monitors, however I'll admit I have in my life printed about 2 pictures...

Just trying my best!

LIsten to WinBob here, sound slike he knows what he's doing... ;)

5. winbob

winbob

Don't go too far....I know what I've read, and seen! Some mag a few years ago put out an extensive article on Digital Photog, Scanning, and Printing. The net of it was that most folks take or scan Pics far beyond the resolution that they can (or need) to Print.

You know...like the Engineer....Measure with a micrometer, mark the line with a diamond tip scribe.....and cut it with an ax :rolleyes:

6. robert2513

robert2513 Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

Sounds like the DPI of the MFC-840N is overkill. Doesn't make much sense to pay extra for something that will most likey not be noticed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!