1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] multimedia/ sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sandkerj, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandkerj

sandkerj Thread Starter

My system is win 98, amd k6-2 w/3dnow. I have a Creative CD5220-f 0225 CD-Rom. I ran Belarc Advisor and for multimedia get "none detected". My cd-rom works fine on reading disks etc., but I can not play music- no sound from the speakers. Not only that but I still have the sound effects on for windows- chimes etc...., no noise. I have tried to load sound blaster (floppy) and the audio devices from the win 98 disk and my driver disk that I received with the computer. No avail, the wizard says that there is no info on my hardware on the disks. I have a slew of drivers and none of them seem to work. I still get the error "no pci mutimedia device installed" in the device manager. HELP Please

2. sandkerj

sandkerj Thread Starter

still need help

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you try to add new hardware, are you digging down into the folders on the cdrom that came with the soundcard or just pointing it to the cdrom drive and clicking ok? You'll more than likely need to direct it further into the cd.....it's looking for an .inf file more than likely.

4. supertech

supertech

IF YOU have windows sounds and your cd rom is working then more then likly the cable from the cd rom to the sound card has came disloged

5. sandkerj

sandkerj Thread Starter

I did try to click on down into the cd for the .inf files, when that did not work I even tried typing the path and file by hand. It still tells me that there are no files that pertain to my hardware.

And the cord and all should be fine, no apparent loose connections and the problem arose during the reloading of my software after formatting my hard drive. No sound from the speakers windows or otherwise. I said I can download from the cd but not play music. My windows sounds are on but I can not hear them.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It could be correct. What sound card do you have and what does the cd disk say on top?

Also, post a listing for your IRQs....start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

7. sandkerj

sandkerj Thread Starter

Before I could get back online I tried a few things and finally found the correct driver. My CD had 2 fm .inf files, one was wrong I tried it days ago, the second one was the correct one. I now have sound and all is well in the tech world. Thanx for the help!

Problem resolved

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!