1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Multiple Browsers

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by westone, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. westone

westone Thread Starter

I want to use more than one browser but I am not sure how to set this up.

At the moment I use FireFox but with some applications I need to switch to IE7.

Is there a way I can do this easily?

The operation system is Windows XP

Thanks for your help.

2. chiliwormeater45

chiliwormeater45

You could install more than one browser and just run which ever browser you need.

I have:

IE7,
    FF3,
    FF2,
    Opera,
    Seamonkey installed on my computer. Just download the installer for each browser you want, and just start whichever one you want.

However, in Firefox, there is an extension to switch between the Firefox and IE engine. :D I believe it's called IE tab.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Just don't have two or more running simultaneously. I have three installed and once had four.

{redoak}

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't need to do anything special to use different browsers. Just open them and go to the site you want to. They function independently of each other.

5. chiliwormeater45

chiliwormeater45

You can run more than one at the same time, if you wish. I run IE and Firefox at the same time a lot. :D Nothing special to use different browsers. Ask a web developer, they probably run a few browsers at the same time. :)

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I wonder if this would be of interest?
    "Internet Explorer is a webbrowser based on the Trident render engine, which does not follow the W3C Web Standards. Internet Explorer Collection contains multiple standalone versions of IE, which can be used at the same time.

Internet Explorer Collection contains the following versions of IE:

- Internet Explorer 1.0 (4.40.0.308)
    - Internet Explorer 1.5 (0.1.0.10)
    - Internet Explorer 2.01 (2.1.0.46)
    - Internet Explorer 3.0 (3.0.1152)
    - Internet Explorer 4.01 (4.72.3110.0)
    - Internet Explorer 5.01 (5.00.3314.2100)
    - Internet Explorer 5.5 (5.51.4807.2300)
    - Internet Explorer 6.0 (6.00.2800.1106)
    - Internet Explorer 7.0 (7.0.5730.13)
    - Internet Explorer 8.0 (8.0.6001.17184)"

From here:
    http://finalbuilds.edskes.net/iecollection.htm

Richard.

7. westone

westone Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast response, it is appreciated.

All of the replies helped me and answered my query.

Thank you.

8. chiliwormeater45

chiliwormeater45

Your welcome :D Now that IE collection is quite interesting. I don't know, if I would use it. I already don't like Internet Explorer because a) it doesn't follow the W3C Web Standards, making beginning a hobbyist web programmer harder and b) it's made by Microsoft. :D

9. westone

westone Thread Starter

I like the idea of being able to view in multiple browsers therefore the collection is interesting. I suppose that someone somewhere is still using IE version 1.0. I wonder what other software they are using.

Following on from the help I got in this thread, when I am using FoxFire my default browser, I can now right click and get the option to view in IE. This is really helpful, I'm not entirely sure how I got there but it was a download from FoxFire. It solves the problem of some forms not displaying properly unless it is in IE.

Thanks everybody.

10. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Thanks for correcting me. I had found the "no, no" info here at TSG some time ago and repeated it without varification.

Sorry, {redoak}

11. chiliwormeater45

chiliwormeater45

I'm sure of that also but why would you want to? It's going to make your computer more vulnerable to viruses and IE1 probably wouldn't be able to work with most modern web sites anyways.

The collection is interesting though. I would love to see a Firefox/Netscape/Seamonkey collection similar to the IE collection :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!