1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Multiple problems, one after another!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mithost, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

Alright... lets get this started.

My sister was downloading music, and 2 songs she had downloading were taking hours. When it was at around 54%, I canceled with concerns it was a virus. I ran avast, and I had a trojan. I used avast to get rid of it, and I scanned again with no trojan found.

Then I started getting error messages like "Hosts and services has stopped working and will close" and "The Dependency service or group failed to start". I didn't think much of it, so I left it be for around 2 days.

Now however, My taskbar is disappearing, I am unable to open certain programs (The Dependency... ...failed to start comes up), I am unable to change things from Read-Only to Read and write, I cannot open event viewer, and after around 30 minutes the whole computer locks up, unable to open anything, unable to soft shutdown, and unable to run any anti-virus software.

The only thing I think I can do is reformat, which seems to be a legit option right now. Please help D:

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If you believe your computer is infected, please click on Report and kindly ask to be moved to the Virus & Other Malware Removal forum. Be sure to provide the appropriate reports in that forum after reading THIS. From there, be patient. You should get an answer within the next 48 hours. Those guys are really busy!

However, please keep in mind that downloading videos or music from YouTube is against their Terms of Use and therefore, against this forum's rules.

3. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

Alright. Ill move it. I thought bringing up the youtube thing would just help with getting aid. Ill try to get it moved now.

4. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

Alright. now it is restarting on me without ANY warning, and even though the blue screen says it comes up when I get the error log, I never see it. I asked for it to be moved but telling me I have an infection then saying I broke two rules doesn't really help my computer. I got quite a few computer things for christmas but I seriously can't use them because my computer is screwed. I was expecting some help here, but instead I get attacked by someone and told to wait for my computer to die.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you able to restart it in "Safe Mode" and then use System Restore to revert back to a date and time PRIOR to when the music downloading occurred?

It may be so badly infected and have the operating system so badly damaged that a hard drive format and clean install of the operating system is your only viable option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

I used malwarebytes to try to fix it, and it looked like it worked. Its no longer restarting anymore, but it is still slow and im getting errors like "Host process and services stopped working and will be closed" and "Application layer gateway stopped workind and will be closed". I searched it and got told I had registry issues now, so I used Eusing free registry cleaner with no effect. After malware bytes, I was able to change files and folder properties again.

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you update the definition files of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware before you ran a scan with it, and did you select and remove everything that it found?

Download and install SUPERAntiSpyware, then do the same with it.

Do as Phantom010 advised, and stay away from registry cleaner/booster/booster/tuneup programs.

9. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

Updated it, and no malware is appearing. I removed the registry cleaner seeing it didn't do much of anything. I asked my sister who is pretty good with computers (not the one that caused the virus) to come over to my house to help fix it.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Hopefully, your computer-savvy sister can help you. Keep us posted.

11. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

She won't be able to come over for a while because she is working in Toronto for practically all winter.

I don't want to download a ****load of programs that do the same thing. That is just increasing the chance to get more viruses. Malwarebytes and avast find no viruses anymore, but I know it's there seeing this page took a while to get to (kept getting redirected). I have heard one post saying that the virus remained even after a reformat, so reformatting might not be the answer. I have had this problem for almost a month now, and it is really interferring with school, and my hobby, game design.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're listening to and getting bad information.

Formatting a hard drive and doing a clean install of the operating system does NOT leave any "debris" or viruses behind. That's the whole purpose of doing that - to start out with a pristine clean computer.

If you refuse to install and update and run a quick scan with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware and then select and remove everything they find, you're not going to make any headway in dealing with your sister's bad and unsafe computing practices.

If I ask you to submit a HiJackThis log, are you going to refuse to do that too?

---------------------------------------------------------------

13. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

HijackThis is unable to install because the virus stops it. I get the error message "The dependency service or group failed to start", which I have tried very hard to get rid of. This is the same problem I had before. It is also making high traffic areas (stepmania's[rythym game] song folder, music, pictures, etc) Read-only, giving me the same message when I try to uncheck the property.

I am working on backing up the crucial files so I can do a reformat.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you put Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware to use?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Go into these 2 temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Temp

Once they're open and you can view their contents, select and delete EVERYTHING from inside them.

If a few files resist being deleted, leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

It's all junk and is a good place for "nasties" to hide.

After you're done, restart the computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

15. Mithost

Mithost Thread Starter

Problem solved. Reformatted the computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice