1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Multiple Versions of MS Office

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mdhall, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdhall

mdhall Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having trouble finding an answer to my question. We have a situation at our plant in Mexico where we need to have multiple versions of MS Office installed. The versions are 2000 and 2010.

Yeah, big gap, right? That story is for another time.

We know we can install multiple versions. In fact, I have already done this. The question I have is this: Is it possible to have the older version be the default program to open office files?

I've tried changing the attributes of the .xls and .doc files to open with the 2000 .exe of Word and Excel, but it won't switch. It keeps defaulting to the 2010 version. I can open both versions independant of each other and open the files that way, but we really need to be able to just double-click on a file and it open in 2000, and then if they need to use the 2010 version they can open the application and then just select the file they need.

The operating system in question is Windows 7. If there is no other way to do this I will just go with the Windows XP Mode method and do it that way. I'd just like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,
    mdhall

2. Rockn

Rockn

Have you ever considered using Virtual PC and having the oddball version running in a VM?

3. mdhall

mdhall Thread Starter

Considered it, yes. Was looking for a way without having to do that though.

That is why I mentioned XP Mode in Windows 7. It is essentially the same principled idea.

I wanted to ask before I made a final decision on going with Virtual PC or XP Mode.

Thanks!

4. mdhall

mdhall Thread Starter

We have decided to just use XP Mode since this will only effect just a few files.

Thanks for the help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice