1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: music download site info needed

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by randyrayd, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randyrayd

randyrayd Thread Starter

I just got my daughter an Ipod, but didn't figure finding a music download site would be this difficult. I don't care if I have to pay an annual fee, but I'm not paying $.99 a song.

Bearshare (or is it Sharebear) was recommended by a relative, but a review search showed it scored as poop. Is there a free Bearshare and a fee Bearshare? I'm skeptical of P2P, but is the fee site different from the file sharing site?

Limewire was suggested by a friend of hers, but supposedly it's loaded with spyware. How about Yahoo downloads? That's a higher annual fee, but worth it if there's no spyware.

Her computer is on a encrypted LAN with Zonealarm, AVG, M$ Antispyware, and Spybot.

Suggestions are not only requested, but needed. I can't keep her offline for long.

Thank you,
    Randall

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, let's start by saying we don't assist in any way with P2P applications, so I suggest you read the TSG Rules, it's the first one on the list. The sad truth is that if you want legal music, you have to pay for it. Any site that promises you music for a few cents a song is almost surely an illegal site distributing pirated music.

3. heck

heck

Itunes.. Napster.. Tons of others dude. You gotta search them up.

Heres alittle advise. Free music is almost impossible to get. All those free music downloaders are loaded with spyware and viruses.

Buy cds from a store. Music downloading is a very tricky, dangerous way.

As john said.. Most sites that offer songs for afew cents are mostly scams.. (NOT ALL OF THEM..but a great ammount)

Be careful man, Peace.

4. Digidave

Digidave

I've been using this site for a couple of years now & find it to be very easy & reliable. Basicaly you pay by the Mb. So, the higher the quality, the larger the file size, the more it will cost. You have to give them money first but don't let that scare you off. Like I said, I've never had a problem. The credit card info & monet exchange is handled by a third party. You'll find that songs run roughly between 8 & 12 cents. You can download an Explorer that updates daily(when you log on to it) & you can preview the entire song if you wish. The sound may not be up to par on the preview but the file you download will be. You should really check it out, it's a great site!

http://allofmp3.com/

5. spruce

spruce

Try mp3 lizard.com

6. randyrayd

randyrayd Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice/opinions. Sharebear has a "free" and "fee" download and I thought the fee D/L might not be P2P, but after further research the fee covers support....it's still P2P which I will not allow her to use.

I apologize for not making my post more clear that I was not searching for free music, but was opposed to fees comparable to the price of a CD.

Again, thank you. The fees at DigiDave's suggested site are much more reasonable.

Randall

7. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

Why not subscribe to Napster? It costs $10/month, and you can listen to any song you want, any time you want. As long as you maintain a subscription to the Napster service, the songs that you download will work.

Of course, napster also allows you to purchase songs so that you can burn them to cd, and they will work if you cancel your subscription, but alas, they are $1.19 per song (in Canada)

8. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

allofmp3.com is not legal in USA or Canada ...

9. UltraPenguin

UltraPenguin

whatever you do, don't download bearshare. Its so riddled with spyware, they even put it in the executable file! Messes up your computer pretty bad too...

10. ergorest

ergorest

They are all illegal, all those free ones.
    Dont expect free mp3s when you buy an Ipod.

99c a song is cheap compared to buying a CD.

11. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I thoroughly agree with JohnWill and ergorest.

Go to walmart.com. You can download songs there, 88 cents a piece.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Depending on your music tastes, you can also buy older and/or used CD's for peanuts in many places.

13. randyrayd

randyrayd Thread Starter

1. Thank everyone for the advice. Napster fees don't sound too bad and I'm staying away from bearshare/limewire or any file-sharing.

2. I guess I still haven't made it clear that I do not mind paying a fee for my daughter's music downloads.

3. Maybe my math sucks, but 12 to 15 songs @.99 each equals around 12 to 15 bucks. Isn't that what CD's cost?

I'll mark this one as solved and again I value and appreciate all your opinions.

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yeah... i guess that they don't want to lose the full value if you get the whole album. :) I think it's a good deal since you get what songs you want, instead of buying a whole CD for a couple of songs.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice