1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Music files won't work in WMM...what to do?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by elisnanna, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elisnanna

elisnanna Thread Starter

I bought and downloaded 3 songs from iTunes. No problem. I'm working on a slideshow of wedding photos on Windows Movie Maker. No problem. I want to use the songs I (bought and) downloaded from iTunes in the slideshow. PROBLEM. :(

After downloading and trying to import them into WMM, I discovered that they are in m4p format. I've done a couple of google searches for converters, but everything I've read so far makes me think that because of DRM (?), I can't do anything with these music files at all except to listen to them on my computer.

Is there a way around this or does anybody know of a site to buy and download music in the mp3 or wav format? All I really want to be able to do with these songs is use them in a slideshow on Windows Movie Maker, and of course, m4p cannot be used in WMM. There's a laundry list of compatible files, but mp4, m4p, etc., is NOT on the list. (n)

BTW, I set my preferences on iTunes for the downloads to be mp3-coded, assuming this would mean they'd be in mp3 format, but that's obviously not what it meant. :eek: Yes, my computer terminology illiteracy is showing.

One moment, please, while I pretend that the music lords are standing in front of me.....It makes me very angry that the companies that control the music downloading are free to dictate what we may or may not do with the music after we've paid for it. I mean, come on, I can't even import the music into a slideshow? Are you kidding me?? :mad: Thank you, I'm calm now. ;)

Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks so much for taking the time to read my problem. :)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. iMPACT

iMPACT

are these files only in itunes? or are they in a file/folder/other location instead of itunes?

4. elisnanna

elisnanna Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies!

iMPACT, these files are, at the moment, in the Barb/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder.

Elvandil, I checked on the links you gave me. The second one has a lot of dead links, but I'm going through the first one right now. It's all so very confusing, but I'm going to try to hang in there. :eek: The solution I'm reading through right now is pretty complicated.

In the meantime, if there is an easier solution, I'm all ears.... :D

5. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

your issues all sound like they are DRM related
    least technical solution would be to make an audio CD (not a data one containing the mp4 files or mp3 files). then just rip your shiny new audio CD back onto your computer choosing mp3 as the format.

6. iMPACT

iMPACT

these files can be edited and moved around right? ( can be taken out of the folder)

7. vicks

vicks

I think the free program from www.audacity.com might be of some help to you. There also is a program (when I got it several years ago it was free, don't know if it still is) from
    www.dbpowerAMDmusicconverter.com
    I used it when transferring old cassette tapes to the computer and converting them to MP3 format.
    vicks

8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not that I am defending that the record companies and/or Apple treat their honest customers as music pirates, ... but you should take a close look at the iTunes Terms Of Service that you had to agree to before using the service and making any purchases. I believe the short version is that that you have purchased the right to use, per their restrictions, a file that you downloaded from their site.

As far as I know, the only permission they give a customer to use the music files outside of iTunes or on an iPod is to burn a music CD as mentioned by DarqueMist. The last I heard this is only legal way to convert an m4p file into any other type of file.

9. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Chuck, just recently iTunes Store has made a rather odd move as far as DRM is concerned. While they still offer their standard DRM crippled fare for 99ยข a track they now offer a premium service for $1.29 a track. The premium download gives you a slightly better bitrate and more importantly NO DRM

EMI, Apple partner on DRM-free premium music on c/net news

10. elisnanna

elisnanna Thread Starter

I tried various converters, but apparently, I'm not quite smart enough to figure out how to use them.... ;)

I think what I'll do is just burn them to a CD and then rip them back onto the computer--that sounds like the simplest solution! (MUST LEARN TO READ SMALL PRINT!!) :D

Thanks so much for all the replies and help. It is truly appreciated! (y)

11. vicks

vicks

If you will go to www.komando.com click on downloads>audio/music you will find a couple of listings there for music converting. I have used downloads suggested by Kim Komando many times and have always been happy with her recommendations.
    I have pasted one of her suggestions below for your reference.
    Vicks

Convert music to other formats

Digital music players are amazing. They make it possible to carry around thousands of songs in the palm of your hand.

Unfortunately, though, there are numerous formats for music files. And music players aren't compatible with all of them.

This makes it difficult if you get a new music player. Chances are you have a sizeable music collection. And you don't want to have to rip all your music from CD again.
    BonkEnc is a free program that will help you convert your music between various formats. Or, you can rip music from CD. It even logs onto a database to download track names.

This is a program that any music lover should have. But it won't work with copy-protected music that you purchased.

Cost: Free

Link: www.bonkenc.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice