[SOLVED] Music on network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi, I'm going to start by posting this here as it's really not 'that' network related. I copied a few of my cds into a folder on one of the networked computers, when I open Media Player on the computer where they reside, I can play a complete cd....however, on other computers, I can see the folder and play one song at a time.....I tried to do a media library search, but it won't search the network, only the hard drives on my computer. Is there another way to get them listed in my library?????

In w2k or XP I right click "My computer" and then "map network drive". (never tried it in 98)

It'll give you a choice of a new drive letter for the share and then you browse the network for the share you want to map.

After that it gets treated like any other partition on your machine.

Keep in mind your machine is going to look for that share everytime you boot.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I looked at the XP machine, where the music is.........I'm assuming that I need to do this mapping on the machine I want to access that music with, correct? I can't browse the network from 98 (I just get drive letters thru Z).....on XP I see how it could be done on my machine....perhaps my best choice is to put the music folder on the 98 machine and map network drive to that one???????

Thank you for your replies, btw :)

Hi Candy,
You can open Widows Explorer, Tools , Map Network Drive. But im like DVOM, not sure about 98.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Thanks too, TW, on my 98 machine it just gives me drive letters to map......doesn't give me the option for the network.....oh well, I have a larger hard drive on this one anyway (120 gig :D ) so I'll just transfer that folder to this one and try mapping it from the XP machine :D

Will keep you guys posted ;)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, testing this theory now.....it appears that after doing that I have an option to scan networked drives........stay tuned ;)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
:D :D :D

Kisses DVOM! That worked! Thank you so much!

Kisses for you too TW ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online