1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Must I use Easyshare?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Katie C, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Katie C

Katie C Thread Starter

This Kodak M883 camera seems to work OK, but why can't I take the photos out of it in something other than Easyshare? Couldn't believe my eyes when my first batch of photos went into Easyshare as over 2 MB each and each one 21" long??? and 72 resolution? and this is the default highest setting?? What is this?? Loved my old DC 200 and Adobe Photo Deluxe 2.0, but Kodak tells me the M883 doesn't work with TWAIN. There must be some better software out there than Easy(ha)Share to download the photos into my computer. After that, I can use my old program. Any ideas please? Blessings for reading this, Katie C

2. Sponsor

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Most of use would avoid using Easy Share.

Can you see the Kodak in "My Computer" and get the pictures from it as if it were just another drive ??
    It's not the physical size or DPI that matters .. But the total picture size in pixels.
    And Welcome to the TSG forum.

4. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

You should be able to grab the jpg files from the kodak directory, I stopped using their software a long time ago ( no particular reason) and found all my pictures in folders all named in a "Date" format..eg 2004-07-31

I don't remember the exact directory. look in C:\Program Files\Kodak....

5. Hughv

Hughv

6. Katie C

Katie C Thread Starter

Picture size? At 72 px/in. and each photo a whoppin' 45.333" by 34", I can't do the math. The camera is set at its default, and this is what it thinks is normal?! Or is this Easyshare's normal? Haven't checked to see if My Computer recognizes camera as a drive; will do so. Good thing I tried this on new laptop-my old Presario would have coughed up its innards trying to cope with such huge files. My wish: to download photos simply and in reasonable format, size, & resolution. Lamp polish is ready, genies. Katie C ~~I beg pardon for not going thru the intro process. Got kinda scared when I saw what was happening. I should have said, "Help! please."

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

at 72 px/in (PPI) ... your 45.3333 inch picture is 3264 pixels wide.
    It will print or display at any physical size you want.

This just means that you have a high resolution picture .. and it's probably a large file size.
    It's the total pixels that's important .. and high resolution pictures are a good thing.

Lets worry about getting the pictures into your computer first...
    preferably without using Easy Share.

How huge are the files ??

8. Katie C

Katie C Thread Starter

Pictures are over 2MB each. I'm a bit "Huh?" 72 was always a number that I used to shift down to e-mailable photos. Good prints I kept as 250 or 300 --- or am I confusing resolution with pixels? Yep, I am, I think. 72 px/in is high resolution? hmmmm OK. ..... ??
    Camera plugged in, turned on, & computer does not recognize camera as a separate drive. Not even a "new hardware attached" ding. Easyshare, however, lights up with glee when camera is attached. How arrogant that program is. I have great workable easy to use software to work with the photos once they're in computer. Getting them in: V-e-r-y perferably not Easyshare please. (and yes, I downloaded the 76 page user guide. I do read & follow instructions carefully.)

9. Hughv

Hughv

Install Picasa, click on "Import" and see what happens.
    I understand some Kodak cameras don't work with Picasa, but it's easy enough to find out.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

It's not the 72 PPI that matters ... It's the overall picture size in pixels.
    For example .. a 3000 pixel wide picture will print at 10 inches with a 300 PPI resolution.
    That's a really good print resolution.

To down size a picture for email purposes, you'd want to downsize the picture to something like 640x480 or maybe 800x600 (in pixels)

You can change the Default PPI (72 in your case) .. but this does nothing to the picture ... simply stated.

I think Easy Share has taken over your computer and preventing you from browsing the Camera from "Computer"

Have you tried to remove Easy Share yet ??
    If an Easy Share wizard doesn't show up here soon .. I'll summon one.

11. Katie C

Katie C Thread Starter

Plug-in---I think that's what I need. Am trying Adobe Photo Elements 5.0 but Kodak M883 isn't listed so can't be recognized. Tried all the cameras in the list, no sale. Where can I get "Adobe Photoshop compatible plug-in module" to put in my "Home Edition Plug in folder" as all these instructions specify? Went to Adobe site and to Kodak site, and got lost nearly 2 hours in the rain forest.
    Picasa seems to somewhat duplicate my antique Photo Deluxe (2.0 & 4.0) programs. Another learning curve I'm trying to avoid if possible. Would prefer one of these Adobe programs as I'm a real whiz at working them ==once I get the photo in. I'm runnin' out of camera icons to designate all these programs. But if all else fails, I will try picasa, and thank you.
    Hesitate to uninstall Easyshare until I know something else will work. Don't you just love these weird problems? Feel like I've been chasin' a ghost for days.
    ....and why am I humming an old old song from my gramma about Kokomo IN?? <grin> Can't remember the words!

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Kokomo = Beach Boys Paradise ... LOL ... Does make a good Cha-Cha

I doubt that a plugin will fix it.

If you have PSE5 (Great) .. Then all you'll need is Irfanview for your everyday Imaging Viewing/Editing chores ... http://www.irfanview.com/ ...
    And there's better ways than a bunch of Icons (shortcuts) .. but we can get to that later.

I'm not an expert at EasyShare .. But if it were my computer .. I'd remove it.
    then we need to get your computer so that the camera can be seen by "Computer"
    You can always put Easy Share back in .. Heaven Forbid :eek:

How long have you had this (new?) camera ??

13. Katie C

Katie C Thread Starter

Camera new but untouched at Xmas. Old computer diseased and out of service til March. Didn't even try there. Camera collected dust in box until new laptop last week, and it's been a royal ever since.
    PSE5 did see "My Digital Camera"; it just didn't have the right model listed. Dear me, uninstall. ....um, let me think. ....friend of mine went to school with Brian Wilson

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

15. Katie C

Katie C Thread Starter

I know how to uninstall, it's just my doubts as to if Easyshare goes out and nothing else recognizes the camera, I'm stuck.

16. Hughv

Hughv

No problemo-just reinstall Easy Share.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/717702