1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Must I use Easyshare?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Katie C, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I understand .. But you can always re-install Easy Share.

When you connect your Kodac (or any other camera) to a USB port ..
    It should be recognized in "Computer" or Auto Play should run and let you browse the camera.
    Twain drivers, as you mentioned earlier, are not needed for this.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I don’t normally boot to Vista .. but thought I’d take a look.
    Just a long shot here .. but try this ..
    Control Panel >> Auto Play … choose Pictures .. what does yours say ??
    You might try setting it to “Open using Explorer …” as shown.

I'm thinking Easy Share may have changed this and inserted it's own desires.

Attached Files:

3. Katie C

Katie C Thread Starter

Problem solved & very simple. I took out camera's memory card & plugged that into laptop. Photoshop Elements 5 grabbed it just fine. No Easyshare, no camera, no hassle -and isn't the answer always something so basic that it's almost a "duh". Genies, for all your patience & hard work, I thank you. Lest you think I'm the smart one who thought of this, a 24k halo goes to Brandon of the Geek Squad. Bless him!

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Thought about that .. but wasn't sure your Laptop had a card reader.
    Now you can remove Easy Share... And see if your Auto Play will start working when you pug the camera into your USB.
    Your HP Image Zone is another program you may want to avoid using.

PSE5 is a great image editor .. But it's a little slow and complicated to use as your default image Viewer/Editor.

I don't like Vista's Photo Gallery ..
    And have replaced it with the freeware Irfanview as my system default Image Viewer n Editor.
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    It's very popular here at TSG .. You'll have no shortage of help with it.

You can setup Irfanview so that you can "send" the image to PSE5 when you need more editing power.
    Irfanview is a clean install and uninstall .. if you want to try it.
    Here's some initial setup tips to help you get started if you want to try Irfanview
    http://2noyb.home.comcast.net

Irfanview and Photoshop are the only two Image programs I use.
    This gives me the simplest/fastest ... Then I can switch to the best when more editing power is needed.

5. Katie C

Katie C Thread Starter

I got Irfanview & thank you for the advice. So very glad that all this came to a successful conclusion. Hope others that have this problem find this & know that their problem can be solved. Great site here! I was never made to feel like I was the problem - altho perhaps?? Great techs make people feel like part of a solution, and you have that quality. Gold stars all around.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the glowing report.
    Have you set Irfanview's External editor to be PSE5 ??
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe
    Since you can no longer customize Vista's Context menus .. This should help.

I can't remember what problem this causes, but you may want to uncheck all the PSE5's File association manager file types.
    PSE5 >> Edit >> File Association >> (uncheck all)

If you have a HP scanner .. I find it a lot easier to use Irfanview to run the scanner, than HP's software.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/717702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice