1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mw3 nat:strict

Discussion in 'Games' started by PrivatePC, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

So, I have been working at this problem for awhile now, and it's finally got me to the point where I need help -.-
    I can't have anyone join my game and it's very frustrating. My NAT type is always Strict. I have a modem
    hooked up to my cisco router. I have tried opening ports from various different suggestions in forums. I'm
    so lost. If anyone can help me, please do.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Go IU! :p

What Cisco Router do you have and is this on a console or PC?

3. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

I'm using a Cisco Linksys E2500. On PC. Other people in the house play on my same internet through via wireless and get an open nat with all Cods on ps3. :/ I even checked my fire wall. And it wasn't enabled, I enabled it and it still didn't work.

4. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

5. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

A known issue with Linksys routers is the NAT Type 3 or anything related to dropping of Internet connectivity during play time. Network Address Translation (NAT) is the ability of a router or firewall to translate a public IP address to a private IP address and vice versa. It adds security to the network by keeping the private IP addresses hidden from the outside world.

Gaming often encounters NAT related issues resulting to poor gaming experience. This problem is resolved by checking the settings on your router which contribute to NAT issues.

This is due to the built-in firewall of the router and to get past this, you will need to open ports on the router. You may do this by either doing Port Forwarding or Port Triggering. Once the ports are successfully opened, the NAT Type issue will change to Open or Moderate this making the games work.

When it comes to opening of the ports, you will need to set the IP settings on the pc to static to complete the set-up.

Here is the link resolving NAT type issues: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.a...&pk=99b00af64db444d3a50f724e22fdb016&donelr=1...

you also might want to turn NAT to open...or at least less that strict! I have never had it on strict (just FYI this is a direct quote of the web page)

"Strict NAT - This means that you have limited connectivity with other players and players who have Strict or Moderate NAT will not be able to join your gaming session. "

6. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Thanks! One thing you should know that has really bugged me though. I have tried going into firewall and checking the public box in allowing programs.. when I do this the game freezes up and acts all messed up. Weird huh? I had to delete all my info in my firewall to get the game working again. It's only when I check the "public" box in the allow programs list in my firewall. For private it works just fine. Does that refer to NAT?

7. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Figured it out. It was my modem, not the router. I had to change the IP settings from private to public. And it worked. Thanks for all the help. That link really helped me!

8. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

:) nice job

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062373