1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My Acer 7750 Laptop SURVIVED a Diet Coke Spill

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hulabird61, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hulabird61

hulabird61 Thread Starter

I wanted to "give back" and try and help someone else after getting so much good advice from this forum.

Last Saturday night I was working on my Acer 7750 laptop that I got back in April, I was on Facebook and just waiting for a pizza to be delivered, I had a full solo cup filled with Diet Coke and a good amount of ice sitting a bit further back from my laptop, but next to it, when suddenly I thought I heard a car door slam, and knowing that I have to put my dog away before I answer the door, I jumped up quickly and my hand hit the glass of diet coke, and suddenly before my eyes diet coke was flooding the center of my keyboard, I grabbed my laptop up quick, unplugged the adapter, and flung the pop off my laptop, grabbed paper towels and started blotting up the evil liquid. I got it as dry as I could and then shut the lid of the laptop, and placed the laptop on a chair since the pizza man was knocking on the door, neglecting to take out the battery. I was very upset figuring I just killed it, there was enough pop on the keys to believe it plus several years ago I had killed my hubby's laptop with the same substance and it immediately died.

As soon as I paid the pizza guy, I grabbed the laptop and I tried to type something and it was working fine. I STILL did not remove the battery, just shut it off!! I wrongly thought I was out of the woods so I happily ate pizza. About a half hour later I went back to my laptop and to my horror my keyboard was now typing gibberish, the horror started to set in. I shut down and went to my desktop and started searching for pop spill info and of course found that the battery needs to come out immediately! More horror as I took the battery out and started crying. I now learned to turn it upside down and let it dry, I used a low setting blow dryer for a while and it seemed pretty dry. I then took the back panel off and saw that the memory banks and other components around it were completely dry and saw no signs of liquid, also I had noticed that the liquid appeared to be gone right after I finished the wipe down, after having the laptop upside down I expected to see liquid on the screen, but it was dry so that made me feel some hope. I did not power up again that night.

The next day i went to the store and bought some canned duster and started to clean where I could. I did not power up for 2 whole days after that. I reluctantly powered up on the 3rd day in the afternoon and it booted with no problem but some of the keys were not working, in fact many were not, they were typing several letters and characters at once, and some did not work at all. I had read that cleaning may help so I cleaned a bit more and then let it sit again, still without the battery. I tried again the next day and more weird crap started, first, I powered up and there was a loud beeping noise, like about 13-15 short beeps for about a minute and then it booted up as normal and the beep went away. Some of the keys had come back so I was a little excited but that beeping made me think the worse, it depressed me big time. Then things just started popping up all over without me touching them, for example media player file folder, MS Word. It was crazy and made me think I had screwed up something major so I turned it off and then went to see if I could find info on beeping. The first thing I saw was something about it possibly being the motherboard gone bad and my heart sunk further, then I saw something that said it could be a stuck key and especially possible if there had been a sticky spill. So I decided to use the canned duster again on all the keys. I also pressed each key down. This worked because when I tried it the next day there was no more beeping, it booted like normal and some more keys came back. Now I was only having a problem with a few letters and the space bar, backspace and 1 number. I felt better and went to bed.

That brings me to today, I didn't touch it at all until about a half hour ago. I powered up with no problem, and THIS time EVERY key worked as usual. I was in shock and so happy. No more shenanigans on my screen either, everything worked just like before. I am a Christian and last night i prayed about it and believed that if God didn't let it get fixed,He would provide the funds for a new one. Well I definitely got a miracle on this. I wanted to write this to give hope to others, I didn't do everything perfect but still it seems to be ok, so do not give up hope!!!

Of course there will be no next time, I am now the owner of an adult sippy cup! I do give advice though, if you do have a spill, act fast, and make sure you remember to remove the battery right away!!!! I am lucky that my mistake of not removing it sooner didn't make things even worse. I dodged a bullet. :)

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If you ever do it again take the battery out and quickly swill the keyboard with a little distilled water to wash the sticky coke away, Clean distilled water will not usually harm electronics providing there is no power until it has completely dried out.

Sticky drinks will leave stuff behind when they dry out so it is better to swill them out with (even) clean rainwater if you haven't got distilled water

3. hulabird61

hulabird61 Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, live and learn, I don't plan on it happening again, but you never know what can happen so that is excellent advice. I just became a laptop user in April so I was not thinking as to the battery, just the A/C adapter since that is electricity, but now I will NEVER forget the battery again. I must admit that Acer makes a decent product, the laptop i wrecked that belonged to my husband had a similar spill and it completely stopped immediately and was trashed, I believe that was an HP. But that was like 5 years ago and I think that the keyboards may be better made now so as to resist spills better. I did spill quite a bit, it was a full cup, and more than half spilled directly on the center of my keyboard, so I am surprised and thankful, that I am writing this right now on that laptop. I am into God and have been learning to ask God to help me when making decisions, even the purchase of a laptop, and He lead me to the best deal on the laptop, so I felt like I wrecked something God gave me! LOL He is a God of restoration so it doesn't hurt to have Him on your side in ALL things.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Good. You can mark this thread as solved with the thread tools.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice