1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My brand new Acer Aspire Desktop PC will not recognize my keyboard.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Wallenberg, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wallenberg

Wallenberg Thread Starter

It is model number AM3970-EB22P. I bought it earlier today from Best Buy and here is the link to it:

www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-desktop-computer-featuring-3rd-gen-intel-core-i7-3770-processor-am3970-eb22p-am3970-eb22p/10208831.aspx?path=c3921d68cb765b0e180b150cdd9c4818en02

My problem is that after turning on the power for the very first time, it will not recognize my keyboard. I have several different keyboards and I tried them all- including the Acer keyboard that came with the PC.

I think my mistake was that before turning on the power, I had plugged in both an HDMI connection to my TV as well as a DVI connection to an Acer 23" monitor. Then when I powered up the PC, it defaulted to the HDMI output but I didn't realize that and was expecting it to displa on the monitor.

It took me a while to figure out that it defaulted to the HDMI connection. I started out by looking at my monitor and couldn't figure out why there was no activity on the monitor. But once I switched the TV input to "HDMI 1", I saw the output was displayed on my TV.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to recognize any keyboard now although it does make a "clicking" sound when I press keys on the keyboard.

I tried to press WIN+P to change the HDMI output to show the same output on both the TV and the monitor but it seems to default to "side by side" and the only thing that I can think to do now is to pull out the power cord plug and try to re-boot with just the monitor connected and without the HDMI connection.

When I hit the "power off" button, it has no effect. Should I pull out the power cord from the outlet? Or is there some other way to get it to reboot?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why are you involving the video connections? They have nothing whatever to do with the keyboard.

What type of keyboard? How connected?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A brand new computer, right out of the box, should not have any kind of keyboard problems. Keyboards also don't make "clicking" sounds unless you're talking about the physical keys themselves. You shouldn't be hearing anything through the speakers. Where did you plug the keyboard into? I assume it's USB since I don't think new consumer computers come with PS/2 ports.

Did you press the power button and hold it down?

I'm with Elvandil. Why are you talking about the video connections in relation to the keyboard problem? One has nothing to do with the other.

4. Wallenberg

It's a USB keyboard.

The PC has two types of connections for keyboards - USB and PS/2.

5. Wallenberg

Pressing and holding down the Power button worked and it powered off. When I powered it back on (with only the HDMI connection present), the keyboard worked with no problem. When I say only one of the connections were present, I mean that the both cables may be connected to the PC. But only one of them can be connected to either the TV or the monitor.

There definitely is some connection between having both the HDMI and DVI connections present and the failure to recognize the keyboard.

I'm not sure exactly why this is so. But my old PC had a similar problem. It did not like it when both connections were present. You could have either one present and the PC would work with no problem but when both connections were present and connected to devices, it seemed to get confused. It would only work properly when one or the other was present - but not both. I don't know why.

I know it doesn't seem to make much sense. But that was the truth of it.

Thank you very much for the info about the power button. I shall now continue trying to make sure it is working OK. But it looks real good now.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice