Solved: "My brother ain't heavy. He's a large paperweight." Which printer is best?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

referee07

I have had a Brother MFC-3220C for about two years and not had too much trouble with it until today. After printing out about 30 pages, I noticed a display that said "Error 41 Unplug printer and call Brother." Before doing this I Googled "Brother printer Error 41" and was met with an avalanche of people complaining that Error 41 means that the print head is bad and needs to be replaced and that this is an all-to-frequent problem with Brother printers. Several people indicated that they got "Error 41" messages a few months after they had replaced a print head in their printer after previously getting the message. The tech. at brother said that if I had purchased the printer in the last 24 months (which I haven't) a service center would replace it for free; if not it would cost me around $40 for the print head plus labor. I am thinking that it might be cheaper to buy a new printer (considering this problem with Error 41 messages seems to be a manufacturer's defect). The printer that I have is a printer/copier/scanner/fax machine, and I am interested in buying something like this multifunction machine.

Are there any suggestions as to which brand is the best with regards to printer/copier/ scanner/faxing machines? I am thinking Cannon but I really don't know which is the best.
thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Lexmark, Epson,Dell....i also use a Brother Print but havent had any problems out of it and id say its bout 3 or 4 years old. still running strong, last big print i did was about 40-55 pages. still running strong.

I'd avoid Dell/Lexmark and Brother like the plague, and Epson isn't so hot either. HP used to be decent, but it's been going downhill. Canon is probably the only brand I'd put any trust in, but quite honestly, every inkjet-based machine I've ever owned in my life has been a worthless piece of junk, so I really don't think you can win... pretty much anything will end up in the trash in less than a year no matter how much you spend :rolleyes:

If you can live with black and white, Canon laser all-in-ones start at around $150 ;)

i like my dell,lexmark and brother printers lol, the past years they done me very well and only time ive replaced them was when they were out dated.

Wow, I've never been in the same room with a Brother or Lexmark that I didn't want to take a sledgehammer to...

BTW, I should add that besides my personal experience, I also worked in a store selling printers for 3 years, and I heard a lot of stories and saw a lot of returns... just going by my experience there, Brother and Lexmark are nothing but trouble. No one ever seemed to complain about Canons, and HP's seemed to do well too... although I've owned both of those brands and had horrendous experiences with them as well. Like I said, I've never actually had an inkjet printer that worked (and I've had a lot of printers). I finally gave up and got a Brother laser... best printer I've ever had... I'll never go back :)

I have had a Brother laser HL series but it had rubbish print quality after a couple of toner packs use, and the new drum cost the same as the printer so it got tossed. Cost per copy in long term ownership was high.

I have had a Brother inkjet, it sucked ink in cleaning cycles big time and had less than a "professional quality" of print, that is now consigned to a carton in the shed.

Have ended up with all HP printers, and am happy.

Used to manage a large company IT, dozens of printers but the only ones that lasted were HP and Kyocera.

erick295 said:
Wow, I've never been in the same room with a Brother or Lexmark that I didn't want to take a sledgehammer to...
You know people have said that and I personally have not had an issue with Lexmark, I can see where they can say the brand is not good but again I can't say that because the 2 I have owned never failed. Just got outdated or wanted something better.

referee07

Thanks, guys. It looks like Cannon and HP are the winners here, with the exception of rollnw24inkmc, who believes his Brother printer is OK and erick295 who thinks his Brother laser is very good. I will probably go with a HP although the Cannon laser at $150 sounds interesting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts