1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My cd drive wont work at all but the computer shows its working fine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AckmedSlayer556, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AckmedSlayer556

AckmedSlayer556 Thread Starter

ok so i have a MDG vision book running windows xp. and last week i put a nickelback cd in my cd drive to rip onto the computer and the cd drive was trying to read it but nothing was showing on my computer. so sence then iv tried lots of different kinds of cds like music, dvd, date, and a few program cds. iv bin trying alot of troubleshooting but have had no luck at all. so if some can please give me some help that would be a great thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you see the drive in explorer along with your other drives?

Any problems in Device Manager?

Is it a DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, or a RW?

3. AckmedSlayer556

if u mean in device manager then yes it shows up there

4. AckmedSlayer556

the driver name is HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GSA-T10N and honestly idk cause when it worked i 3 kinds of disks reading on it music,dvd, and program. but my best guess is DVD-ROM

5. AckmedSlayer556

**********i used 3 kinds of disks reading on it music,dvd, and program

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are there any errors or messages in the Device Manager, red or yellow?

7. AckmedSlayer556

nope and thats what the wired thing is cause there isnt anything on my labtop that is telling me there is a problem. but for some reason nothing will read in my cd drive

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's possible it just burned out. If you have an Ubuntu CD, or the one I will link, you could boot uop with that and try to access a CD. If it still doesn't work, then hardware is the problem. Bad connections would do it, but the drive may just need to be replaced. They don't last long, especially if used very much.

[​IMG]
    Parted Magic disk partitioning, PC repair, and file recovery tool (Bootable CD or USB image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
    [​IMG]

9. AckmedSlayer556

ok thanks. and if need be how much is it to replace the hardware?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice