1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My CD-RW is going NUTS! HELP!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by babs277, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

HELLO EVERYONE... ANYONE!!
    To start with, this is my first time visiting this site. I'm fairly computer illiterate... at least when it comes to problems.
    I have a Gateway computer that is about 2-3 years old... and Windows ME. I have Adaptec Easy CD Creator(v4.02c)/Direct CD(v3.01c). I've been using the Adaptec and the ACD-See software that came with my Toshiba Digital Camera for almost a year now... with absolutely no problems. Lately my discs have been coming up unreadable... or damaged. When I insert them into my E drive, Direct CD doesn't even recognize them. It won't let me scan them either. So, I've been saving all my pictures to my hard drive (C) to prevent losing them all together... and then formatting a new CD and copying them over... again!! Everything was working okay this morning... then all of a sudden my Edrive red light went on (as though it was writing to disk) and wouldn't stop. Everything froze! I had to turn the computer off at the switch and restart it. But now I can't even format a disk using Direct CD. It tries... but then a quick message flashes ... something about ABORTED COMMAND... ??? and disappears quickly. I've tried formatting about 5 or 6 new disks but the same thing keeps happening. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Adaptec Easy CD Creator/Direct CD from the diskette that came with my computer. I'M READY TO KILL MYSELF.... or smash this machine! I need that drive to be working. I'm unemployed and trying to sell some personal belongings on eBay... I NEED TO BE ABLE TO STORE MY PICTURES ON CD. I can't afford more memory on this computer so I can't store all the pictures on my hard drive. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, can someone help me? If anyone cares to try, please remember that I am really not up on computer lingo, etc.... Not to mention the fact that I've been sitting here trying to fix or figure this out ALL DAY! Thanks to all!
    babs

2. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

I just wanted to let anyone interested know that I've got to get some sleep now. I've been at this for about 14 hours now!! So, If I don't respond to any replies to my question (wishful thinking!)... I will be back here tomorrow morning. I'm still hoping that someone out there can help.
    Good Night and THANKS!
    Babs

3. dai

dai

will it see any original disks,if not try a lens cleaner

4. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

Hello DAI. I can't believe you responded to my question. Thank you so much! Now for my really stupid question... What's a lens cleaner? As for trying other disks, I was kind of leary because I thought it was destroying the disks I tried earlier, and they're loaded with pictures I can't replace. I did try one though. It did read. I tried to copy a picture over to it from my hard drive. And although it seemed to work at the time, a short time later that RED light came on and never went off. In other words, the same thing happened. Does that sound like a "lens cleaner" problem? I live near a COMP USA... what should I ask for as far as lens cleaners go? They always ask questions I can't answer. Also, can I ask you something else? I know that the 3-1/2" floppies are sensitive to magnets and electrical fields, but are the cd's also effected by those things? What can damage them? DAI, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING CRAZY! I'll be waiting for your reply.
    Sincerely,
    babs

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Have you tried burning with the EZCD Creator? (not Direct CD)
    You do not have to format the disc if you do it that way.
    Just open EZCD and make a "data disc". Then put the pics you want to burn there, be sure to use "disc at once", which will finalize the disc. You will not be able to add to the disc later, but it will be readable by more machines and is not erasable.

6. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

Hello LONGHAIR,
    Funny you should ask!! I was trying that a few minutes ago. My machine went haywire! I had read in an earlier thread that EZCD Creator was the was to go. So I tried it while I was waiting. I got the following WINDOWS errors:
    "An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000EC5F in VMM(01) + 0000DC5F. This was called from 0028:C002F285 in VxD NTKERN(01) + 0000F175. It may be possible to continue normally.... etc. etc."
    T tried to continue (pressed the space bar) and the following WINDOWS error message came up:
    "File Name: VMM(01) + 0000DC5F Error: 0E :0028: C000EC5F Press.... etc."
    I had to HIT THE SWITCH again to restart my machine... everything was frozen. OH NO, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME MY WHOLE MACHINE IS BAD!
    That EZCD Creator isn't too easy to follow. I don't know what I'm doing!!
    ANY IDEAS?
    Thanks!
    babs

7. dai

dai

8. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

Okay... I downloaded the above mentioned "stuff"... I think. I clicked OPEN... and then I clicked UNZIP. Now what?
    babs
    PS Welcome back! Thanks for your help!

9. dai

dai

it should have unzipped into the adaptec folder
    you will see ASPICHK click on this and it will tell what you have installed on your computer.
    click on the readme file and you will find the instructions to install
    ps. just got home from work

10. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

DAI... you lost me! Where will I see ASPICHK?
    babs
    PS I guess I was sleeping while you were working!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice