1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: my comp wont show my backgrounds on the desktop NEED HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by XxSnoe931xX, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XxSnoe931xX

XxSnoe931xX Thread Starter

I havent had any problems with my desktop background until this past month,i was on a forum seen a picture i liked,right clicked on it set it as my background and it was fine then one day i tried to do it again and noticed it wouldnt let me my background was black but when i restarted my comp the background showed while the icons were loading then the pic disappeared and everytime i turned on or restarted my comp the background pic would show and disappear then a black background was on it with my icons and everytime i change my desktop pic it will show every picture i put on it only before my comp starts shutting down,restarting my comp,and after i turn it on but it will never show it as the background and stay it always goes to a blackscreen.

Also last night when i was getting help on this forum in the security section after i got that all fixed i was tryin to fix my desktop and i pulled down my start bar and the pic showed to the length and height of that bar then went to black.So i just pulled up my start bar and now im asking u for help i cant figure it out its like i have a background blocker on my comp and i 4got to mention earlier that on the display properties on the desktop tab when i go to there it has the word background in gray and it wont let me change those or scroll threw them it will only allow me to change the actual color of the background (black,white,blue,red) its like my backgrounds on my comp are locked PLEASE HELP

2. 1101doc

1101doc

Have you been given a clean bill of health on your HJT logs?

3. kaligt55

kaligt55

Been so busy forgot to get that checkup..........what is it?

4. 1101doc

1101doc

You said that you were getting help in the security section. Are your malware problems cleared up? Usually they want to see a HiJackThis log, and will give you the all clear when everything is corrected.

5. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Run Panda ActiveScan here

Once you are on the Panda site click the "Scan your PC" button.
    A new window will open... click the "Check Now" button.
    Enter your Country.
    Enter your State/Province.
    Enter your e-mail address.
    Select either Home User or Company.
    Click the big "Scan Now" button.
    If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it.
    It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes).
    When download is complete, click on "Local Disks" to start the scan.
    When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the "See Report" button; then "Save Report" and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the Panda scan report in your next reply.

Post a new HiJack This log along with the results from ActiveScan.

6. XxSnoe931xX

yeah the guy that helped me told me im all clear and now clean

7. XxSnoe931xX

Incident Status Location

Spyware:Cookie/Atwola Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Outster Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Statcounter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Target Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\MUSIC\SmitfraudFix.zip[SmitfraudFix/Process.exe]
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\Process.exe
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\VundoFix\VundoFix\process.exe
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\VundoFix.exe[process.exe]
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\win32delfkil\Process.exe
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/KillApp.B Not disinfected C:\hp\bin\KillIt.exe
    Potentially unwanted tool:application/altnet Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\smdat32a.sys
    Potentially unwanted tool:application/bestoffer Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\smdat32m.sys

8. cybertech

Click Here and download Killbox and save it to your desktop.

Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it.
    Put a tick by Delete on Reboot.
    In the "Full Path of File to Delete" box, copy and paste the following:

C:\WINDOWS\smdat32a.sys

Click on the button that has the red circle with the X in the middle after you enter the file name.
    It will ask for confimation to delete the file.
    Click Yes.
    It will ask if you want to reboot now,
    Click Yes.

Note: It is possible that Killbox will tell you that the file does not exist.

If your computer does not restart automatically then please restart it manually.
    If you get an error message "PendingFileRenameOperations Registry Data has been Removed by External Process!" message then just restart manually.

You can also delete these files from your desktop:
    SmitfraudFix.zip
    VundoFix.exe

And these folders:
    win32delfkil
    VundoFix
    SmitfraudFix

This fix is only for XP & Windows 2000

Download and Save Cleandesktop to your computer from this link: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/cleandesktop.exe and double click on the cleandesktop.exe

It will automatically extract to c:\desktopclean where it needs to be to run and will automatically run the cleandesktop.vbs script.

If it doesn't open then go to c:\desktopclean and double click on the cleandesktop.vbs Do not run any other file from there please unless asked to.

If you have script blocking enabled you will get a warning about a malicious script wanting to run. Please allow this script to run. It is not malicious.

If you get a message when you first run it "Cannot find script file "blah blah blah" then don't worry just double click the cleandesktop.vbs script again as you sometimes get that message when a script blocker blocks the script.

It will then kill Explorer. You will lose your taskbar and desktop. It will repair the registry entries returning your normal desktop and context menu functions.

It will restart Explorer.

Once you have performed the big cleanup, each of the other Users on the System needs to be signed in to clean up their desktop and regain the right click.

Another vbs is included to do this. It is named Other Profiles Regfix.vbs

Have each User sign in and run Other Profiles Regfix.vbs.

Open C:\ (Go to Start – Run and type C: Press enter) and Open the c:\desktopclean folder. Double click on Other Profiles Regfix.vbs

Explorer will be ended and that user's active desktop registry entries will be repaired. Explorer will be restarted.

To restore the desktop to whatever picture you normally have right click on a blank part of desktop & select properties/desktop & select your preferred picture press apply & then ok to exit and then press F5.

You will need to do this step for every user account.

9. XxSnoe931xX

Well i did everything u said and it worked, my desktop is working fine now and i can finally play my cds again and my comp seems to be running alot faster,thank you sooo much for takin the time out to help me fix this problem,so is my comp all done now or do i need to do anymore scans and post them on here?

10. cybertech

Please post your hijackthis log.

11. cybertech

XxSnoe931xX

Are you still with us??

12. XxSnoe931xX

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 7:35:55 PM, on 2/8/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1151551403\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\waol.exe
    C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\shellmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Aol\aoltpspd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IS CfgWiz] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\cfgwiz.exe" /GUID NIS /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LSBWatcher] c:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "C:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe" /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1151551403\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Free Download Manager] C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe -autorun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F7E99C8D-E6A3-4827-B0CA-7E323AFA837E}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

13. cybertech

It's a good idea to Flush your System Restore after removing malware:

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • Check Turn off System Restore.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    • Restart the computer.

To create a new restore point:
    • Start go to All Programs
    • Accessories, System Tools and select System Restore.
    • In the System Restore wizard, select "Create a restore point" and click the Next button.
    • Type a description for your new restore point. Something like "After trojan/spyware cleanup".
    • Click Create and you're done.

Here are some additional links for you to check out.

Good free tools and advice on how to tighten your security settings.

Security Help Tools

Secunia software inspector & update checker

You're welcome!

14. XxSnoe931xX

for some reason its not taking me into the system restore wizard so create a new restore point but i also dont have my computer on my desktop, its just in my start menu

15. cybertech

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice