1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: my computer has a xp pro sp3 phobia

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SUEOHIO, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    i have a problem that ive never seen in all of my life. i have a 2 yr old ibm/lenovo thinkpad r61i that came with windows xp pro sp3 already installed.it didnt come with any disks so i didnt like all of the factory junk that was in there and decided to make a clean reinstall using one of my windows xp pro sp 3 disks. i put the disk in had it boot from the cd and all i got was a black screen.i could hear the disk working but nothing could be seen on the screen. the disk was fine so i took a disk with windows xp pro sp2 just for fun and it installed perfectly. of course i had to put sp3 in with no problem. every disk i have in my house whether oem or retail or any brand that has sp3 already in it forget it.ive never seen such craziness in my life. and its not the cd drive as the same thing happened when i used an external cd drive.and even my computer friends are stumped and i just put in a brand new 250 gig hard drive and all components check out fine.and yes in the bios its set for compatible and yes its set to boot from a cd.if anyone knows why this computer hates disks with windows xp pro sp3 in it id like to hear it.:confused:

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Perhaps the disk was branded with an OEM stamp which to which your manufacturer's hardware objected.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    thank u for your suggestion but ive tried all kinds of disks oem and retail branded and non branded and the same thing happens.ive never seen anything like it in my life. and the disks work fine in my other computers.this is a mystery that i hope someone can solve.id like to be able to put windows xp pro sp3 back into it without any problems.im hoping its a simple fix that no one has thought of yet.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try an external screen, or the hot swap keys to switch screens.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    ill give it a try and see if that works.thank u.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    well that didnt work and im still stumped.

7. DaveBurnett

Does it read the disk normally. IE not booting from it???

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    it boots from all disks but for some reason whether its the actual disk or a copy if it has sp3 already in it thats when the craziness starts. im at a total loss as to why this happens. any disks that are windows xp pro with sp2 in it it installs with no problems.im wondering if this is a mystery that will never be solved.

9. DaveBurnett

If you boot into something else, will it read the SP3 disk???

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    i have it set to boot from a cd anything else i set the boot order from it just goes right into the os thats already in the computer which is windows xp pro sp2.like i said its reading all of the disks with sp3 in them but the monitor stays black. if its any disk with windows xp pro sp2 it installs with no problems and it shows on the monitor.

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    im marking this as solved as im going to sell it and trade it in for a new or used lenovo/ibm laptop. ty to all who tried to help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!