Solved: My computer picked up a second IP address and advised me that there was a conflict

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

taina

While working on my wireless on my laptop and logged onto our wireless signal, my pc advised me that it had picked up a second ip address that now conflicts with another item running on my network. Why would there be a second IP address? What does this mean? What do I do about it? I am running XP home, Zone Alarm in stealth mode and my router is a linksys. Not sure what other information I would need to provide. I click on the message in hopes that it would provide more info, but it just dissappeared. There doesn't seem any change in my computer as far as I can see. Is this a need for concern? A security issue?

I am most definitely computer iliterate. Please help!

Is your wireless network secured? If not, it sunds like you might have someone in the area using it as well. On the Linksys wireless router, there should be the option to at least put in place WEP security keys.

taina

Bob Cerelli,
Thank you for your quick response. I will have to look into that. But of course find out how to. I am not computer savvy at all. I will try to search the forum on how. Thanks again for taking the time.

Typically, when you first enable the wireless on the router, it is not set up for any kind of security. Check with the manual that came with it for the details.

For example, I have a Linksys WRT54G. I start my browser and connect to the router.
Then to enable security I click on Wireless / Wireless Security. Then pick the Security Mode. At least use WEP. This will stop most folks just wanting to get a free Internet ride. It generates a key which you would then need to enter on the workstation.

But again, that is just for this router.

taina

Thank you I think I am using the same router you have. I will do exactly that. Once again I want to thank you for the time taken to reply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online