1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My computer started randomly crashing while playing games... >.<

Discussion in 'Games' started by iwassnow, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iwassnow

iwassnow Thread Starter

Hello everyone. It has to have been over a year since I came here looking for help because I rarely have problems that are like this. My computer is freezing while playing games (low-end ones at that!). And sorry in advance for killing dial up users with my huge post! :eek:

Ok so here's the simple form of it:
    1. I've checked for Malware of any kind first: none. Spybot search and destroy, ad-aware, and I use ccleaner(I recomend this program as an experienced PC user) for general stuff.
    2. I disabled all uneeded applications(shouldn't have mattered, but still...) before running any games. Left only my wireless software and sound driver program.
    3. I downloaded a temperature monitor for my hardware that acessed the built in stuff: all seems good as far as I can find the info for. My main concern was the CPU, that's clear for sure at 50dC.
    4. I updated Windows with everything they had; minus the useless stuff, eg: sim card reader and Windows media player(<3 Winamp Pro.)
    5. I updated my video card driver and installed Catylyst, which was my main reason for updating Windows(for .net framework updates).

Stuff I already tried to do:
    1. Reinstall the below listed games that I've been using and/or testing my fixes with.
    2. Notice a degredation issue with continued gameplay: nope. The amount of time before freezing seems to be random as it has been after 2 seconds once, and other times after a half hour or more(or sometime to my pleasure, not at all :).)
    3. Update the games: a little difficult for one or two of em, but otherwise seeing as how it's a mutli-game trend, I doubted this being the issue. Tried it anyway with no luck.
    4. Made sure I didn't install anything around the time I first noticed the problem; I didn't.

My system specs(as I'm sure I'll be asked for if I don't put em in here :cool: ):
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2400MHz as specifically listed by My Computer properties dialog box.

Mainboard: Some Asus mainboard(can't remember or lookup the model) that came with the barebone, it fits all my stuff and never caused a problem in the last two years. <3
    It also provides me with onboard sound and USB. Don't use any other unlisted ports.

Ram: 1280MBs Can't remember the type, but I won't look unless you guys need it specifically. It's installed as a 1G and a 256M.

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9250 PCI 256MB (wish this thing had a temperature monitor...)

Internet: DSL provided by Verizon. I use their Westel Gateway 327w connected wirelessly with a generic use wireless device that worked fine with the games I'm playing for several weeks before the issue came up.

IDE Drives:
    PM- 500gb seagate soemthing or other
    PS-160gb something(not currently doing anything at all-extra space for future use)
    SM- Memorex DL 16x12x16 DVD Drive, well worth the money spent on it
    SS- LG 52x32x52 wonderful CD burner before I got the DVD. keep it cuz I like dual CD drive abilities(use to multigame :rolleyes: ) Don't use it much anymore, even for burning CDs.

Software stuff:
    Windows XP Home Edition SP 2 with the most recent updates available as of 6 hours ago

Spybot - Search and Destroy + TeaTimer <3(y)(y)

Adaware 2007- I don't have it always on but I scan regularly enough, including today.

Catalyst ATI driver support thingy - Just installed this today to see if I had GPU temp monitoring...

My generic wireless configuration tool - speaks for itself, it's rather basic and I technically don't need it, but i prefer it to letting Windows assume things. :)

CCleaner - This thing is great as a cleanup tool and is helpful for advanced malware removal if I need to get at startup stuff easily. Also lets me disable anoying useless software that comes with hardware, or anoying things like MSN Messenger runnning itself at startup no matter what you do. It's also free. <3 Pays to be an advanced user. :cool:

DAEMON Tools Lite - A virtual cd drive program. Before I get accused, I deny doing anything illegal with the program! I simply archive some stuff I have on my harddrive and this helps in opening them. >.<!!

The games I play, have been playing:
    Okay before I list em, I want to make a loud note that no game that I have run in the last 12 months uses even half the system resources I have available. :D And without further delay:

1. Maplestory- The details can be found at http://maplestory.nexon.net
    -I've had this game for years and never had this problem until about 12 days ago...
    2. TA: Kingdoms The Iron Plague - It's a late PII era game and the company went bankrupt. I used to run this on a 500Mhz with 128 ram and 16mVram. It is 3d, but it's low quality compared to stuff today. I use 15% CPU power running it while my other stuff isn't disable. :cool:
    3. Civilization 2 - Ok so this one didn't freeze on me, but this game could run on a p1, and I thought I should just list everything here, so....
    4. Arcanum - This one froze like once, but it's a Sierra game, don't have the exact requirements, but it doesn't run slow or anything and a friend of mine with a 600mhz can run it fairly well.
    5. Diablo II LOD - It was for like 3 hours between switching ISPs a few weeks ago, I played again once since then for about 20 minutes to kill time while I was DLing a few program updates.
    6. Commandos II Men of Courage - I stopped playing it(beat it again) two weeks before this issue came up, but hey if it helps....
    7. Commandos III Destination Berlin - It was laggy while running so I stopped playing, but that was again weeks before this issue started.

If I forgot anything, yell at me and I'll provide the information needed, but I'm desperate for help here. If I can get this fixed without buying new hardware I'll try to donate something to the site. No I'm not bribing, I'm just poor and can't afford professional benchfees. >.<

Thanks in Advance!
    -Snow

2. iwassnow

iwassnow Thread Starter

A bump before dinner...

3. sup2a

sup2a

this si an odd one the only thing i could possibly think of is the video card overheating... everything else seems to be ok to my under trained eye :) but it sounds very common of a heat problem, have you tried cleaning out the case and checking if the fan is spinning properly?

4. iwassnow

iwassnow Thread Starter

My graphics card doesn't have a fan and the case side is open for better cooling. I keep it in a temperate room, and I have a can of air right on top and another on the nearby shelf. There's no onboard temp and I asked ATI if there was anything about these overheatings, but they responded with a "The technical specs can be found on our website at..." load of ****.

My next step is stress test the ram if I can find a proggy that works, but I this is the weirdest thing I ever experienced in my life. I don't want to replace my wonderful graphics card, but I may need to. :S

5. iwassnow

iwassnow Thread Starter

Whee I'm pretty sure it's fixed. If I'm lucky I can still cancel my order for a new card. It was a hell of a deal, but any money saved, is good. Anyone curious can see the thread about gameguard I posted earlier. The only 'crash' I had was when my internet dropped out on me, and I was forced out of the game. No system problems though. :)

6. iwassnow

iwassnow Thread Starter

"This email confirms that you have donated $5.00 USD to Tech Support Guy"

I did say if I could get this fixed without new hardware. Thanks for the help from those of you that did try to help me.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice