1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My Computer Takes FOREVER to Open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FenwayPrd, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    FenwayPrd:

The O4 startup list looks good, so I'm not going to mess with it any more.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Your computer has a lot of O16 activeX controls, and I question whether they're all needed.

If you want to examine the list, go to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files, then click View - Details so you can examine what they are in more detail.

If any of them show a status of "Damaged", right-click the icon and then click Delete.

If you see any that you're sure you no longer need, do the same thing.

I'm enclosing a screenshot of my list to give you an idea of which ones you might want to keep.

Attached Files:

• DPF.jpg
      DPF.jpg
      File size:
      157.8 KB
      Views:
  2. FenwayPrd

FenwayPrd Thread Starter

I was looking through the programs with Add/Delete ... I noticed that there are 5 different Microsoft .NET frameworks... I have 1.1, hotfix for 1.1, 2.0 service pack 1, 3.0 service pack, and 3.5. Do I need to have all of these???

Also, I was wondering.. I noticed in the hijack this list.. it lists weatherbug... I got rid of that along time ago... I notice there are other things too that are no longer on my computer... how do I get rid of those files?????

3. FenwayPrd

FenwayPrd Thread Starter

What if they are listed as Unknown??? Also, I appear to have Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0 three times???

Theres a lot of stuff in this location that I dont really know.... so I really dont know if I need them.... man.. I feel like a total illiterate...

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Look at my screenshot and you'll see Java listed 3 times too. Don't ask me why. Anyway, don't worry about it.

Leave the ones with a status of "Unknown" alone, unless you recognize it as something that you no longer need.

If you're in doubt about any of the list, leave them all alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft NET Framework currently has 4 versions:

What you have is normal, so leave them alone.

And don't feel like an idiot or illiterate. I'm been messing with home computers for over 11 years and still learn something new all the time.

5. FenwayPrd

FenwayPrd Thread Starter

Ok whew.. thats good... I really have very little clue bout most of these downloaded programs... any thoughts on the ones whose status is unknown??

Also, in regards to the registry cleaners.... would you recommend not using one at all?? How about Perfect Uninstall?

6. bluebottle2

bluebottle2

Hi,
    I have just been reading this saga and I have the same problem with my daughters laptop.Flavallee may I send you a highjack log
    regards
    brian

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Brian:

Start your own thread, advise what problem you're having, post the specs on the laptop, and YES post a HijackThis log. That gives us a headstart on things.

FenwayPrd:

YES! Stay away from registry cleaners.

8. FenwayPrd

FenwayPrd Thread Starter

Brian... u rock :) thanks for all of your help! My computer and MY COMPUTER are both running like a charm now.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :) (y)

FRANK :D

10. FenwayPrd

FenwayPrd Thread Starter

hahaha sorry FRANK!!!! I was reading the thread sorry bout that.. btw.. I have perfect uninstaller loaded .... should I just stick with Windows Add/Remove and get rid of uninstaller too???

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Whatever works for you. Is this it?

I use Revo Uninstaller 1.75 myself, and it's free. It comes in real handy when I'm trying to clean out program remnants from older desktops that I work on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

12. FenwayPrd

FenwayPrd Thread Starter

Want another older desktop to work on?? hahaha

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I love getting my hands on the older HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario desktops, wiping out the hard drive, and doing a fresh install of XP SP3.

If you look at my computer specs, you'll see an old HP Pavilion 8565C that came with Windows 98SE that I resurrected and upgraded and have XP SP3 running in now.

It's time for me to get off here for awhile. I've got some errands to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------

14. FenwayPrd

FenwayPrd Thread Starter

I was going to attempt a fresh install of XP not that long ago.. but even THAT wouldnt work.. haha.. this computer was baaaaad off for a while. But I think with all the things you have helped me with alot of that is doing much better.

I think at the moment, other than having a TON of junk on it (and by ton.. ugh I def mean TON), I just have a CD player that doesnt play and a couple of odds and ends that raise their ugly head from time to time.

15. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

I always run the registry cleaner in ccleaner with no problems......... anyway you create a back up and if problems do occur you can back up the registry.

joan ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!