1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] My Computer Wont Boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ironhalo, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ironhalo

ironhalo Thread Starter

I posted a thread about having problems with my computer rebooting by itself, but when i underclocked the cpu it was ok. My mobo is an asus A7A266. ive read numerous posts about this mobo being problematic.. anyway i emailed asus and they told me to change a jumper that wasnt listed in the manual but does exhist.. behind the apg slot and below the ddr slots. the told me to change it from 1-2 to 2-3 so my ram would work better. i have kingston ECC DDR DIMM ram, 2 sticks of 256 mb. asus is aware that this ram is ahead of the mobo i have, thus they made the jumper to fix this. it increaed the voltage from 2.5 to 2.6 or so. the exact message is on my other $2,000 doorstop computer. i tried moving the jumper back to the 1-2 position ad it still didnt turn on. everythings plugged in ok and screwed inall the way. i have no idea whats going on here or if i need a new mobo or what. please help!! thanks.

2. brianF

brianF

Make sure you didn't nudge something loose, reseat the agp card, any cables or cards you came in contact with

Any sounds at all when you try and boot it.

3. ironhalo

ironhalo Thread Starter

theres no sound whatsoever when i press the power button. i also tired resetting the 3d card a few times, and to no avail. its like the computer isnt even plugged in when i press the power button. no fans move, no sounds. it just sits there like a paper weight

4. ironhalo

ironhalo Thread Starter

also, my mobo has a led light on it that lights up when theres power on the mobo. right now its as if theres no power whatsoever going to the mobo. when i chaged the jumper i made sure to unplug everything and held down the power button to drain out any excess power. is it possible that i fried my mobo somehow?

5. stanggt2

stanggt2

if you do not have even a case fan running or the power supply fan running it sounds like the power suppy is dead

6. ironhalo

ironhalo Thread Starter

if the power supply is indeed the problem, is there an easy way to tell that this is the problem for certain? i know my mobo has a led light on it thats always on when theres power going to the mobo, and that lights not on. would this be the final nail in the power supply coffin?

7. supertech

supertech

a simple test light should be all you need to check if there is any voltages coming anywhere from the power supply

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi ironhalo

Its stupid question time. Are you sure you have AC going into the back of the computer. If you have a power light on the monitor and it is on try swapping the AC plugs between the computers powersupply and the monitor. Some power supplies have an extra off/on switch on them in the back does yours? BOL

9. ironhalo

ironhalo Thread Starter

my computer power supply does have a secondary on/off switch, ive tried toggling it back and forth because i forgot which one was on and which was off.. still nothing. i emailed mwave, the people i got the comp parts from (home brewed box o trouble..) and they told me i should try taking the mobo, cpu, ram, 3d card and power out of my case and to try turning it on then. seeing if it works.. i havent tried this due to the lack of time. they also said i should try to clear the cmos if that fails. i have no clue what the cmos is or how to clear it, and my mobo manual didnt mention that in the glossar or index. also, i tried swapping the power cord from the monitor to the pc, nothing happened. no fans moving, no sounds. are odds pointing to the power supply here as opposed to a fried mobo?

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

Kind of sounds like the power supply, You can disconnect everything except the motherboard and the powersupply. If you are getting ac in you should at least get the led on the motherboard to light up even if the main system is powered off with everything else disconnected.

11. ironhalo

ironhalo Thread Starter

i replaced the stupid power supply, and poof! the hunk o evil junk is working again.. thanks to everyone that helped me out!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice