1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: my computer won't find the network on the boot

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mhurley219, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mhurley219

mhurley219 Thread Starter

I am trying to add my desktop to my home network. I have a D-link Di-624 wireless router and a hawking wireless usb adapter. When I boot up the adapter won't find the network. If I unplug the hawking adapter from the back of the computer and plug it right back in it picks it up quickly. What is the solution?

Thanks
    mhurley219

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Two ideas:

If you're using a hawking utility maybe you need to set an option for it to start automatically, or just reference it in your Startup folder.

If you're using Windows' WZC, maybe the service needs to be set to Automatic Startup type.

3. mhurley219

I think the problem may be that the adapter is connecting before the computer finishes boting. the light on the hawking usb adapter shows a connection but there is no response by the computer.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "adapter won't find the network" from your 1st post seems to be at odds with "adapter is connecting before the computer finishes boting" from your second post.

Please clarify.

Are you using a hawking utility or WZC to manage the wireless adaptor? If the later, try using the former.

5. mhurley219

I am using the hawking utility to manage the adapter. To clarify my previous statement, the lights on the usb adapter come on and indicate a conection to the network before the computer finishes booting. However the computer will not respond untill I unplug the adapter and plug it back in.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, think I finally got it. What happens when you try to use the utility after boot but before the adaptor unplug/plug; does it not scan properly or refuse to connect or even refuse to talk to you?

What about what I mentioned in my first post about the hawking utility: "maybe you need to set an option for it to start automatically, or just reference it in your Startup folder"?

There's always the standard suggestion of check their web site for possible updated driver or utility, or explanation of the problem; but doubt that will pay off.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/377642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice