1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My computer wont turn on someone please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by splagl, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

I was on my computer and and i left to the washroom and came back and it was off. I thought that a power faiure may have occured. I then turned it back on and after the windows login occured it shut off. I then turned it back on and after 3 seconds it turned off. I don't know what happened. I think my power supply may have broke but im not sure. Also sometimes when my computer is on and i leave it and come back to it it is like i left it in hibernate. Its on but i cant do anything or see my computer active. I dont know if that is relevant to my problerm but i would very much like some help. Please.
    Thanks

2. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

It could be a power supply problem although it sounds more like an overheating problem. Do you have a spare PSU that you can pop in there?

Could you please post all of your computer's specs.

3. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

I wouldnt know how to take out the PSU. I dont think it overheated because i felt the back and it wasnt hot. And after it happened i waited 30 mins and then tried again and nothing worked even though it was in a cold area.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check for air flow. Make sure the vents and fans are clean and that air flow is not impeded in any way. Make sure fans are running and clean.

If your BIOS has a temperature sensor, check it right after it shuts off sometime to see how hot it is.

5. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

Air flow is fine. My fans arnt clean but i will be getting compressed air to clean them. And im not sure what you mean by BIOS.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Open it up and check all your connections. Pull out the PCI cards and put them back in. Do the same with memory sticks. Check the drive connectors on both ends. Sometimes a loose connection can be exacerbated by expansion due to heat.

7. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

I checkked them all and nothing happened. I definatly think its the PSU. Thank you for all your help.
    Thanks.

8. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

I still wouldn't rule out an overheating problem. Just because the CASE is blowing out cool air doesn't mean anything; it doesn't have to be blowing out hot air to mean some thing is overheating. Also, if the case is blowing out hot air, that doesn't mean you have an overheating problem.

Something on the motherboard could be overheating causing the computer to shut down. The CPU could be overheating if the heatsink isn't correctly in place. Does it seem like the longer the computer is off for, the longer it'll stay on?

Heres what could be happening: Something overheated and the computer shut off. You noticed it off (and it was off for maybe a minute or two) and you turned it back on. The something thats overheating didn't get a chance to cool ALL the way, but enough for you to start to log into Windows (also, thats where the computer first starts to really use system recourses aka heat stuff up) so it shut down again. Now that something didn't get a chance to cool at ALL because you tried to turn it back on right away, so thats why it only stayed on for about 3 seconds.

OR, its the power supply. This is easy enough to rule out as the first thing. Is the computer that you are using now around the same year/specs? Do you have any other computers in the house that you can borrow the power supply from to test?

9. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

I am using another computer. I left my computer for 2 days and tested it and it wouldnt turn on so im pretty sure its the power supply. I have an old computer in my basement with a psu so im going to change them and see if it works.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice