Solved: My Documents Appears Empty

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Xuber

Computer: Windows XP Media Center, HP, Using Office 07

I started having this problem a couple days ago: The folder for My Documents appears to be empty. If I open it, it basically looks like a blank folder. If I open properties>general for it, it shows that it takes up 0 bytes in size/size on disk, and it has "0 Files, 0 folders".

The reason I say it appears to be empty is because I have found that it actually isn't. Example: If I type in the file path for "My Pictures" (which would be contained in My Documents) I am able to open that folder. Same with My music, My videos, and any other folder I wish to open that is located in My Documents. Also, I am still able to open document files that were/are saved in My Documents through Microsoft Word's "recent documents" tool. (Doc's from a week or two ago)

Also: When typing in the file path to open My Pictures; I can access them if I have it: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures But it won't work if I have it only: My Documents\My Pictures I will then get an error message saying that it can't be found. This is the same for any folder I try and open.

I got an error message on Monday saying that Windows Explorer had an error and had to close. I was asked if I wanted to send an error report and I said no. I am not sure if this has anything to do with that or not, but I do know that this issue started AFTER I got that error message.

I am on the Admin account on this computer (Its the only one on the computer at the moment) and I recently installed/updated my iTunes. As of yesterday I had both Office 03 and 07 on my computer, but as of last night, only 07 is on. (they were both on probably since near the end of August) I *think* that is all of the installing and such that I have done lately. The last thing I installed before that would be Photoshop CS3, and that was either at the end of July or the beginning of August.

One more thing: In the "Add or Remove Programs" window certain files are not showing their size anymore. This is unusual, because all the files would usually show their size normally. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I thought it was interesting/suspicious.

So yeah, as far as I know, no documents or folders were deleted. I hope you all can help! :)

Sounds like when you installed something, and it overwrite your Documents Folder and then you uninstalled it so it left the file blank.
Random guess. Know nothing bout computers. Sorry. Lol

Xuber

Just for more information to add to the "Case File":

I made another user account on my computer to see if maybe somehow it was just my account that was making me see my documents this way. I put a shortcut to My Documents into the Share Docs folder and also made so that other users could see the Admin account "My Documents.

But it didn't work. While on the other account I still couldn't get the files in My Documents for the Admin account to show up.

SpyKiller112

What I would consider trying is run a chkdsk

Start > Run > type "chkdsk /f /r"

or do a Windows Repair using a Windows CD if you have one.

or run some spyware scans.

I guess another option would be to backup the data on that account, and delete the folder and just recreate a new one and set that as Admin

Xuber

Hmm k I will try the check disk. I already scanned my computer with two different scanners, and they turned up stuff, but it didn't fix it. Most of it was just cookies, or drive by downloads.

Xuber

Woot! I did the Chckdsk thing this morning when I started up my computer and it fixed it!

Uhm, some of the transcript was:
Correcting Error in Index $I30 for file 17201

and then after they had corrected that there were a ton of messages that went something like this:
Recovering orphaned file C-Day~! (145859) into directory file 17201
Execept the file name would change.

Anyways, My Documents is now back in full form! Thank you SO MUCH for your help. *is incredibly happy* SpyKiller112, you are awesome. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts