1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: My e:\ drive has disappeared HELPPPPPPP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maui, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maui

Maui Thread Starter

My e: drive has somehow disappeared and now I cannot download pictures from my camera.:eek:

WIN XP
    INSPRIRON 8600
    MS OFFICE 2003

2. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

your going to need to be more specific about your problem. what is your e drive? a HD?

3. Maui

Maui Thread Starter

The e: drive is an attachable drive from a camera or a USB drive, so it wouldn't be a HD right?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok the E drive is detected when you plug in your camera is that correct?

Have you tried the camera in another usb port and or tried the camera in another system?

Have you checked in device manager to see if there are any yellow marks next to usb controllers?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Do you have any necessary drivers for your camera installed. Not all are included with the operating system.

6. Maui

Maui Thread Starter

the software drivers and it said that they were properly installed.

7. Maui

Maui Thread Starter

The e drive is not detected when I plug in my camera. I have tried plugging it in to another computer and it worked there.

When I go to the device manager there is an ! mark (similar to the one by the title), but I cannot troubleshoot it or anything.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Assuming it is a USB connection, do any other USB devices work or is the problem just with the camera?

9. Maui

Maui Thread Starter

and my printer does work which I connect to that USB port. Now what? Do I add a drive?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post a screenshot of device manager. This will help to find the problem.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Johnwill has been very successful in past at resolving this problem. Here is a quote from one of his previous posts. Certainly want to give him all the credit if it works.

---

Does the new board appear in Device Manager? Did you try disabling the on-board USB in the BIOS? Try running the following fix, then reboot and enter the BIOS setup and disable the on-board USB controllers.

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

12. Maui

Maui Thread Starter

http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/57/757/8/28/14/2491828140086447809VsoZxc_th.jpg

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Kinda small image.

Can you either post a larger one or try and describe what you are seeing?
    Did you try the steps posted earlier?

14. Maui

Maui Thread Starter

Does this help?
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2491828140086447809VsoZxc

No I have not tried those steps yet, I have been ill and I just finished with dinner and such for hubby.

15. Maui

Maui Thread Starter

Bob and John I could kiss you both! I don't know what went wrong or how, but it is fixed now! I thought my Christmas photos were gonners, I could download them somewhere else yes, but there is something about the satisfaction of having all your drivers working properly.

Thanks so much.
    :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice